Question Why is my receiver not using my speakers built in subwoofer?

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
I have some Kenwood KS-H52 Speakers I picked up for 25 bucks and got a 7.1 1000 watt receiver that came with a subwoofer. before I picked up the receiver I have a older Panasonic unit that was built to drive 6.5 inch speaker and the bass sounded amazing for how old they are, after hooking up the receiver the sub sounds great but the built in subwoofers are not working, How can I make the subwoofer work as well as the built in ones? The Panasonic unit was a small 2 channel stereo., Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
I have some Kenwood KS-H52 Speakers I picked up for 25 bucks and got a 7.1 1000 watt receiver that came with a subwoofer. before I picked up the receiver I have a older Panasonic unit that was built to drive 6.5 inch speaker and the bass sounded amazing for how old they are, after hooking up the receiver the sub sounds great but the built in subwoofers are not working, How can I make the subwoofer work as well as the built in ones? The Panasonic unit was a small 2 channel stereo., Thanks
There could be a configuration option in the new receiver to tell it what "size" speakers you have, large or small. It could also be shown as "full range". You will have to see if there are any speaker configuration options. It is possible, that if the receiver has a subwoofer, then it was originally designed for small bookshelf type speakers and does not have any options to send low bass to the main speakers. Just to the subwoofer.

Reactions: thomas4204

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
There could be a configuration option in the new receiver to tell it what "size" speakers you have, large or small. It could also be shown as "full range". You will have to see if there are any speaker configuration options. It is possible, that if the receiver has a subwoofer, then it was originally designed for small bookshelf type speakers and does not have any options to send low bass to the main speakers. Just to the subwoofer.
It is a 7.1 Sony receiver, it has 2 subwoofer outs if that helps, I just checked and it is set to large already.

What receiver and sub exactly?

If you're connected to the sub via Coax and its set to on the amp will disable low frequencies to the speakers.

If you sub has speaker level inputs then you can get around this.If it only has a single rca input you can't.

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
What receiver and sub exactly?

If you're connected to the sub via Coax and its set to on the amp will disable low frequencies to the speakers.

If you sub has speaker level inputs then you can get around this.If it only has a single rca input you can't.
Sub is a Yamaha YST FSWO50 and receiver is a Sony STR DH750