why is my rx 480 astonishingly bad at overclocking

brandon9455

Reputable
Apr 16, 2017
i have a sapphire rx480 nitro edition card 8GB and the max overclocks i can get on it, regardless the power limit is
Coreclock: 1370 (MHz)
Memory clock 1866 (MHz)

ive seen and heard on forums of people getting memory clocks of 200 MHz once i go past 1866 any benchmarks or games becaome unstable and i get quite alot of micro stutter.
Have i just lost the silicon lottery or is it to do with my old mobo.

motherboard: GIGABYTE F2A78M HD2

ps yes i know this is a huge bottleneck, im getting a new computer at christmas and using the rx480 in it.

link to msi afturburner pic : https://ibb.co/cxoNgG

Solution
The old PSU tier list has that model on tier 4.
"Tier Four - Built down to a low price. Not exactly the most stable units ever created. Very basic safety circuitry or even thin gauge wiring used. Not for gaming rigs or overclocking systems of any kind. Avoid unless your budget dictates your choice."
The replacement units the cx650m is a very good unit, the green labeled units have a bad reputation for the inabilities mentioned above. I would not overclock if I had that unit.
PSSST. I do. and my 955 is at stock and at stock the PSU is fine but overclocking is not a path to take.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
the list is old but is a great guideline when buying a PSU that is on this list.

brandon9455

Reputable
Apr 16, 2017

mainly because i wanted to see its overclocking capabilities for my next pc
my specs are:
amd a8-6600k
Gigabyte f2a78m hd2
radeon rx480
8gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz
be quiet pure rock
also i have a corsair cx 600w so lots of headroom.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the CPU is holding back the GPU. forcing the GPU now is like street racing in a school zone. you may have a ferarri but the speed limit is set.
Wait for the new system to overclock. you will get better results. the CPU will have more memory bandwidth/speeds.
How old is the cx600m? if you are nearing the warranty replace ASAP.

brandon9455

Reputable
Apr 16, 2017

about 6 months old, i got it when my old one which came with the computer started smelling like smoke when i turned it on :O

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
The old PSU tier list has that model on tier 4.
"Tier Four - Built down to a low price. Not exactly the most stable units ever created. Very basic safety circuitry or even thin gauge wiring used. Not for gaming rigs or overclocking systems of any kind. Avoid unless your budget dictates your choice."
The replacement units the cx650m is a very good unit, the green labeled units have a bad reputation for the inabilities mentioned above. I would not overclock if I had that unit.
PSSST. I do. and my 955 is at stock and at stock the PSU is fine but overclocking is not a path to take.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
the list is old but is a great guideline when buying a PSU that is on this list.

Solution