Question Why is my Ryzen 5 1400 using only 2 cores at 100% and rest at 5%?

lucasnp

Reputable
Nov 23, 2016
On Afterburner I noticed my CPU is using only 2 cores at 100% usage while the rest is at ~5% at idle and when gaming is like two at 100 and the rest at 30, and sometimes they randomly all work as they should and I notice a big FPS boost but then they go back to 100%/30%.
Anyone have any hints? Thanks in advance

On Afterburner I noticed my CPU is using only 2 cores at 100% usage while the rest is at ~5% at idle and when gaming is like two at 100 and the rest at 30, and sometimes they randomly all work as they should and I notice a big FPS boost but then they go back to 100%/30%.
Anyone have any hints? Thanks in advance
It uses as many cores at a percentage as software asks for. Some SW/games use one or more cores predominately while other cores do just background tasks.

lucasnp

Reputable
Nov 23, 2016
It uses as many cores at a percentage as software asks for. Some SW/games use one or more cores predominately while other cores do just background tasks.
For example, I'm getting really bad FPS (90-100) on CSGO with a GTX 1060 with the two cores locked at 100% and the others at 30%, and sometimes the cores all get the same usage and then I get a FPS increase but I really dont know why or how. I get the feeling that something is making the CPU not use all the cores when it should be or spread the usage, the only thing I know is that something is wrong because I randomly get FPS boots and then it all tanks again

For example, I'm getting really bad FPS (90-100) on CSGO with a GTX 1060 with the two cores locked at 100% and the others at 30%, and sometimes the cores all get the same usage and then I get a FPS increase but I really dont know why or how. I get the feeling that something is making the CPU not use all the cores when it should be or spread the usage, the only thing I know is that something is wrong because I randomly get FPS boots and then it all tanks again
CSGO uses only one or two cores at a time, only way to get more FPS is to have higher frequency CPU. Also make sure it's not overheating.

lucasnp

Reputable
Nov 23, 2016
CSGO uses only one or two cores at a time, only way to get more FPS is to have higher frequency CPU. Also make sure it's not overheating.
This is happening on every game I play, from the old ones to the most recent, besides I know I should be getting more FPS because I had more FPS with the same rig.
There's no logic in using two cores at 100% on idle as there is no logic in using only two cores at 100% while the others are at 30% or less.