[SOLVED] Why is my Ryzen 5 3600 stuttering temperatures after upgrades?

MrAmazingGaming

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
I have recently upgraded my PC from a GTX 1660 Super to an RTX 3060 Ti and added an extra case fan; However the stock cooler wasn't enough to keep the the CPU cool with the added power from the new graphics card, so I installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212. Everything runs great, idle temps droped about 10-15 degrees, same with gaming. The issue is when I start to do something simple like open up file explorer or google chrome the fan starts going up and the temp spikes up 20 degrees for a second or two and they come down, and continues to do so throughout simple tasks. Also sometimes when heavy gaming, I look at the fan for the cpu cooler and it looks like it stops for a second and starts back up, but I'm not entirely sure if that's just how it looks like or if it's actually the fan stopping. Is there any common solutions to this? Thank you.

MrAmazingGaming

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
Is there any other solutions that may be software oriented? The cooler is running the temps lower than the stock cooler, the cpu just seems to spike in usuage.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I have recently upgraded my PC from a GTX 1660 Super to an RTX 3060 Ti and added an extra case fan; However the stock cooler wasn't enough to keep the the CPU cool with the added power from the new graphics card, so I installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212. Everything runs great, idle temps droped about 10-15 degrees, same with gaming. The issue is when I start to do something simple like open up file explorer or google chrome the fan starts going up and the temp spikes up 20 degrees for a second or two and they come down, and continues to do so throughout simple tasks. Also sometimes when heavy gaming, I look at the fan for the cpu cooler and it looks like it stops for a second and starts back up, but I'm not entirely sure if that's just how it looks like or if it's actually the fan stopping. Is there any common solutions to this? Thank you.
Do you have tools in your motherboard check the RPM, then go into bios and see the fan settings, if its not aligned then reset it.
in most cases BIOS reset will do, Also check the CPU spiikes, generally in AMD in precision boost, there will be spikes from 43 to 65 in few seconds, if thats the case then its normal.
But if it stops completely then try resetting BIOS, reinstalling the cooler. check the connectors.

Last edited:

MrAmazingGaming

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
Do you have tools in your motherboard check the RPM, then go into bios and see the fan settings, if its not aligned then reset it.
in most cases BIOS reset will do, Also check the CPU spiikes, generally in AMD in precision boost, there will be spikes from 43 to 65 in few seconds, if thats the case then its normal.
But if it stops completely then try resetting BIOS, reinstalling the cooler. check the connectors.
Sounds like it may be that AMD precision boost, is there any way I can get more info on that?

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Sounds like it may be that AMD precision boost, is there any way I can get more info on that?
you can disable it in BIOS, but my tower cooler Antec A400 does not stop, does it literally stops for you?, i keep my precision boost enabled,
my PC at idle fluctuates between 43 to 52, it depends upon the spike, but it never stops,
So try disabling precision boost and say. check the fan curves if it is set in such a way that the fan is made to stop in some temp.

If it didn't spike under boosted conditions with the stock cooler, it sure as hell shouldn't be doing it with the 212. Not a really great cooler, but it's a bit better than the Wraith coolers so if it didn't do that before, it shouldn't do it now.

Usually when a CPU spikes in temp under any kind of load conditions but is ok at idle, and I mean spikes beyond where it ought to be at for the conditions especially if we're not talking about running stress tests like Prime95, then it's because the installation wasn't done correctly. That is why I linked you to my article, because there is a specific reason why those coolers do that and that reason is defined in the guide. Almost everybody who installs the Hyper 212 EVO for the first time makes the mistake because they are not aware of it. That, or too much or too little thermal interface material is used, or the cooler bracket to backplate fasteners aren't done correctly. Something.

There is nothing about "software" that should have anything to do with a CPU spiking temps beyond specs under moderate loads, and gaming and most applications, even fairly strenuous ones, are moderate loads. Prime95, Heavyload, and other stress tests, those are substantial full loads.

What temperature are the CPU cores sitting at at idle with nothing open and just sitting on the desktop idle for like ten minutes?

What temperature is the CPU cores spiking to when you run something demanding?

What is the ambient temperature in the room where the unit is at?

And for what it's worth, the addition of practically ANY model of graphics card shouldn't have any kind of substantial impact on CPU core temps, especially not peak temps. It might raise the baseline a little bit, but if you had adequate case cooling it really shouldn't be any kind of factor at all. If the graphics card is adding that much heat to the internal case temps, then you need to figure out what is need to improve the case airflow. More fans, better fans, change the direction of airflow if it is not configured properly and by properly I mean all front, bottom and side fans should be configured as INTAKE fans, bringing cool air IN to the case, and all top or rear fans should be exhaust, taking air OUT of the case.

Reactions: coolraveen
you can disable it in BIOS, but my tower cooler Antec A400 does not stop, does it literally stops for you?, i keep my precision boost enabled,
my PC at idle fluctuates between 43 to 52, it depends upon the spike, but it never stops,
So try disabling precision boost and say. check the fan curves if it is set in such a way that the fan is made to stop in some temp.
Then something is configured incorrectly on your machine, like having the wrong power plan, or disabling C-states, or disabling Cool N Quiet. Boosted states should not always be in play unless there is an ongoing load involved that requires it.

MrAmazingGaming

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
If it didn't spike under boosted conditions with the stock cooler, it sure as hell shouldn't be doing it with the 212. Not a really great cooler, but it's a bit better than the Wraith coolers so if it didn't do that before, it shouldn't do it now.

Usually when a CPU spikes in temp under any kind of load conditions but is ok at idle, and I mean spikes beyond where it ought to be at for the conditions especially if we're not talking about running stress tests like Prime95, then it's because the installation wasn't done correctly. That is why I linked you to my article, because there is a specific reason why those coolers do that and that reason is defined in the guide. Almost everybody who installs the Hyper 212 EVO for the first time makes the mistake because they are not aware of it. That, or too much or too little thermal interface material is used, or the cooler bracket to backplate fasteners aren't done correctly. Something.

There is nothing about "software" that should have anything to do with a CPU spiking temps beyond specs under moderate loads, and gaming and most applications, even fairly strenuous ones, are moderate loads. Prime95, Heavyload, and other stress tests, those are substantial full loads.

What temperature are the CPU cores sitting at at idle with nothing open and just sitting on the desktop idle for like ten minutes?

What temperature is the CPU cores spiking to when you run something demanding?

What is the ambient temperature in the room where the unit is at?

And for what it's worth, the addition of practically ANY model of graphics card shouldn't have any kind of substantial impact on CPU core temps, especially not peak temps. It might raise the baseline a little bit, but if you had adequate case cooling it really shouldn't be any kind of factor at all. If the graphics card is adding that much heat to the internal case temps, then you need to figure out what is need to improve the case airflow. More fans, better fans, change the direction of airflow if it is not configured properly and by properly I mean all front, bottom and side fans should be configured as INTAKE fans, bringing cool air IN to the case, and all top or rear fans should be exhaust, taking air OUT of the case.

I should have clarified the exact model of the cooler since the installation process seems to be a bit different from the one in your article, so the bit of the center screw isn't included in this one I believe.

At first the CPU was running ab 20 degrees cooler in everything right after the installation. About 35-40 in idle and 60-70 in heavy gaming. Now it's up to 48-58 idle and randomly spikes during idle up to 60. In heavy gaming it runs about 75-80. I've only had the cooler installed for about 2 weeks now. They're not terrible temps, but why did it change and why does it spike?

As for the BIOs I reset the settings to default to see if it would change anything, but nothing. I'm going to check the installation next.

EDIT: Also as soon as I added the GPU the heavy load temps went from 80s to 90s.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I should have clarified the exact model of the cooler since the installation process seems to be a bit different from the one in your article, so the bit of the center screw isn't included in this one I believe.

At first the CPU was running ab 20 degrees cooler in everything right after the installation. About 35-40 in idle and 60-70 in heavy gaming. Now it's up to 48-58 idle and randomly spikes during idle up to 60. In heavy gaming it runs about 75-80. I've only had the cooler installed for about 2 weeks now. They're not terrible temps, but why did it change and why does it spike?

As for the BIOs I reset the settings to default to see if it would change anything, but nothing. I'm going to check the installation next.

EDIT: Also as soon as I added the GPU the heavy load temps went from 80s to 90s.
Usually this is how it happens, right now for while browsing it jumps between 500mhz to 1600mhz (Peak speed) while browsing,
Sometimes with precision boost enabled my peak jumps to 3 -4GHZ atleast one core, but all these times some programs might be running for me, even chrome takes a lot of juice.
If this happens for you in idle, as our friend says something is off, play with the boost, power settings, voltage, etc and finally reset your cooler,
i think if your cpu temp is not going overboard while heavy load, maybe voltage or power setting is your problem, check that and then think of resetting your cooler.

Tip: i had motherboard problem gave it to my dealer to get it fixed, after getting it home i noticed the idle temps were high for me before then before my motherboard problem, when i asked my dealer he uninstalled my cooler and re pasted it, When asked what paste he used he said some AMD paste,
When i re pasted it using an Artic freezer it solved the problem for me, I use a Antec A400 mine sits via Stock clips that come with the board.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Then something is configured incorrectly on your machine, like having the wrong power plan, or disabling C-states, or disabling Cool N Quiet. Boosted states should not always be in play unless there is an ongoing load involved that requires it.
Yes for me with precision boost enabled at idle right now sits between 300 to 700mhz, it never hits 3ghz, only when heavy program is running like windows update, but as you I used to get spikes when thermal paste was not up to it

MrAmazingGaming

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
Yes for me with precision boost enabled at idle right now sits between 300 to 700mhz, it never hits 3ghz, only when heavy program is running like windows update, but as you I used to get spikes when thermal paste was not up to it

I was able to get down the temps down by updating the chipset drivers, but still get the random usage spikes. I'll try resetting the cooler next. I may have used too much paste.

EDIT: I may have fixed the issue. I performed a clean bootup and disabled many programs on startup that seemed to have fixed the issue and bring my idle temps down 33 degrees with no spikes like before. Not sure which program may have been causing the issue. Thank you for your responses.

Last edited:
Reactions: coolraveen