[SOLVED] Why is my upload speed more with wifi than with Ethernet?

Oct 29, 2020
I have an ethernet connection on my pc, the advertised download speed for my ISP is 24Mbps and upload is 3Mbps but when I check it over Ethernet I get 70-75Mbps, no issues here. The issue which is bothering me is my upload speed over wifi. Over wifi I get around 9Mbps (stable) upload and 20-25 download. Why such a difference for upload speed? I tried to stream to youtube live and also noticed that over ethernet my upload speed is very unstable, it goes from 200Kbps - 1.5Mbps. So I have 2 questions here - why my upload speed is more with wifi than with ethernet and why the upload speed on ethernet not stable at all? I tried to contact my ISP and they always say it is working fine when they ran the diagnostics from their end?

Solution
Two things:

1) Go into your network adapter's configurations and change the DNS servers to Googles: (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Internet Protocol Version (IPv4) > Properties

"Use the following DNS Service Addresses....."

Determine if changing the DNS server IP address improves the upload speeds.

2) Open Powershell and run the following "Get" cmdlet at the PS> prompt.

Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty

You should be able to simply copy the line above and paste it into Powershell at the PS> prompt

The results should be table with five columns:

Name DisplayName DisplayValue RegistryKeyword RegistryValue

Ralston18

Titan
What and how are you measuring the speeds? Utility software, method?

On your PC do you have both the wired and wireless network adapters enabled? Only one adapter, either wired or wireless, should be enabled. Not both at the same time.

Or if you are measuring testing with different devices then that could be a factor.

In my experience, if you're having inconsistent upload speeds over a wired connection (or any instability in speeds), there is an issue at the isp. The problem should be consistent across different computers wired in the same way, otherwise it could just be the system.

Oct 29, 2020
What and how are you measuring the speeds? Utility software, method?

On your PC do you have both the wired and wireless network adapters enabled? Only one adapter, either wired or wireless, should be enabled. Not both at the same time.

Or if you are measuring testing with different devices then that could be a factor.
I am measuring the speeds using a simple speedtest.net test.
I measure the speed first with ethernet cable unattached and a wireless adapter (300 mbps) and then the wireless adapter unattached and ethernet cable attached.

Oct 29, 2020
In my experience, if you're having inconsistent upload speeds over a wired connection (or any instability in speeds), there is an issue at the isp. The problem should be consistent across different computers wired in the same way, otherwise it could just be the system.
I have tried contacting the Isp several times in the last 2 weeks and all they tell me is they have run the diagnostic from their end and it is running fine.

Ralston18

Titan
Summary of problem:p

Wired upload = 3 Mbps (unstable).

Wireless upload = 9 Mbps.

What speed and duplex setting are you using for wired? Is it set for Auto Negotiate?

==========

As suggested take a closer look at the system and what it is doing during the various tests.

Open Task Manager and leave the window open to to one side and observe what the system does while running speedtest.net

Do the same using Resource Monitor. Both may prove helpful but run only one at a time.

Look for what is different between wired and wireless.

Oct 29, 2020

What speed and duplex setting are you using for wired? Is it set for Auto Negotiate?

==========

As suggested take a closer look at the system and what it is doing during the various tests.

Open Task Manager and leave the window open to to one side and observe what the system does while running speedtest.net

Do the same using Resource Monitor. Both may prove helpful but run only one at a time.

Lol yes, the summary, and I have set the duplex setting to auto negotiate. I will check the resource monitor like you said and post my findings here.

Oct 29, 2020

==========

I tried looking at the task manager, the send packets/speed during speedtest.net goes to 7-8Mbps and this is stable, but as soon as I try to stream to youtube (with streamlabs where I have set my bitrate to 4500 since I am getting upload speed of 7Mbps at least) the upload speed here is very unstable, going crazy like 100kbps - 5000kbps, so the stream buffers a lot. I don't know why this is happening as I thought internet with ethernet was supposed to be stable

Ralston18

Titan
Try swapping in known working (at speed) Ethernet cables to determine if the upload performance stabilizes and/or improves.

What make and model modem do you have? What make and model router do you have?

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may be capturing information related to the slow upload performances.

Oct 29, 2020
Try swapping in known working (at speed) Ethernet cables to determine if the upload performance stabilizes and/or improves.

What make and model modem do you have? What make and model router do you have?

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may be capturing information related to the slow upload performances.
I dont have a modem, in my country for home networks people dont use modems. My router is : Binatone DT920W, I have a copper wire and not fiber connection to the router (cannot upgrade right now due to covid reasons as I dont want the engineers who will apply fiber connection to enter my home). I have used a fiber optic cable from router to my pc.
As you suggested I tried swapping the cable (from router to my pc), the results were same. It is baffling to me because it is only affecting the upload speed and not the download speed. Download speed with ethernet is quite stable and fast, but upload speed is too slow and totally unstable.

Ralston18

Titan
Is the following User Manual a match to your DT920W?

https://www.192-168-1-1-ip.co/manuals/10043.pdf

Does the following line diagram show your devices and connections?

ISP ---Copper/telephone wire --> [In x1] Splitter (filter) [Out x 2] with one of the out ports going to the telephone system and the other out port going to the [WAN port] on the DT920W Router then via the [LAN ports] ----Ethernet cables --- > PC's and other network devices.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Note the splitter - they are made very cheaply and can easily go bad. (Note: The referenced manual above mentions that the router's Starter Pack includes a "micro-filter". Likely to be fairly small and tucked away out of sight somewhere....)

FYI,

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/what-... filter separates the,"normal" telephone-line.

You can easily find other links for more information about ADSL and splitters.

Oct 29, 2020
Is the following User Manual a match to your DT920W?

https://www.192-168-1-1-ip.co/manuals/10043.pdf

Does the following line diagram show your devices and connections?

ISP ---Copper/telephone wire --> [In x1] Splitter (filter) [Out x 2] with one of the out ports going to the telephone system and the other out port going to the [WAN port] on the DT920W Router then via the [LAN ports] ----Ethernet cables --- > PC's and other network devices.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Note the splitter - they are made very cheaply and can easily go bad. (Note: The referenced manual above mentions that the router's Starter Pack includes a "micro-filter". Likely to be fairly small and tucked away out of sight somewhere....)

FYI,

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/what-does-an-adsl-filter-do/#:~:text=An ADSL filter separates the,"normal" telephone-line.

You can easily find other links for more information about ADSL and splitters.
My router has 2 ports that open at the back.
The diagram you mentioned is absolutely correct.

http://mtnldelhi.in/binatone_con.pdf

This my router, couldn't find the exact setup manual, but I think this is the configuration setup by an ISP.

One thing that is really confusing for me is if the filter is damaged somehow (possible since it is very old), how come the download speed is good but upload isn't.

I have tried contacting the Isp several times in the last 2 weeks and all they tell me is they have run the diagnostic from their end and it is running fine.
You need another computer to eliminate yours as being the issue. Boot a linux live cd/usb and check the speeds there. If they are the same, use the same live cd/usb and connect directly to their equipment bypassing any routers or any other equipment you have. If you have the same problem, it is more than likely the isp's issue, and you can confirm by replacing your system with another one connected directly wires like that. If 2x systems connected directly are having issues, 100% isp issue, no matter what they are telling you. If you have another isp available, switch.

Oct 29, 2020
You need another computer to eliminate yours as being the issue. Boot a linux live cd/usb and check the speeds there. If they are the same, use the same live cd/usb and connect directly to their equipment bypassing any routers or any other equipment you have. If you have the same problem, it is more than likely the isp's issue, and you can confirm by replacing your system with another one connected directly wires like that. If 2x systems connected directly are having issues, 100% isp issue, no matter what they are telling you. If you have another isp available, switch.
I booted a Linux live usb (ubuntu) and the upload speed there seems to be 3 times of what I am getting with windows 10. So I guess there's some issue at the windows end? How can I recognize what's causing this?

Speedtest results with Windows - Upload - 1-3Mbps
results with Ubuntu - 9 or above everytime.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes: You do need to eliminate your computer (or anything in your network for that matter) as the reason for the speed differences.

If the problem is in your network - fiber will not help.

Late thought: are you able to login to the modem's admin screens?

If so, then take a look at the Advanced Config. screens being careful not to change anything.

Look for any log's (if available and enabled) that may be capturing errors.

Also look for any technical "records" reporting on frequencies, decibels, etc. with respect to upstream and downstream performance.

Oct 29, 2020
Interesting - Windows then.....

Check the following link:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-get-faster-upload-download-speeds-in-windows-10/

Again, just look and do not (for now) change anything.

Just post the Advanced options % settings.
Here are my Advanced settings % options
x1MYEoX.png

Oct 29, 2020
Have you ever set any data limits?

What DNS server are you using?

Look in Resource Monitor > Network

Do you see anything there that is consuming bandwidth?

I haven't set any data limits on my pc ever.

There are 3 DNS servers set on my router - 2 of my ISP and 1 of Google (8.8.8.8)

While looking at the resource monitor I can't see anything suspicious that may be consuming my bandwidth.

Ralston18

Titan
Two things:

1) Go into your network adapter's configurations and change the DNS servers to Googles: (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Internet Protocol Version (IPv4) > Properties

You should be able to simply copy the line above and paste it into Powershell at the PS> prompt

---- ----------- ------------ --------------- -------------

"Name" being your network name.

Overall the Get results are a nice consolidated look at your network adapter's configuration settings.

The settings I am interested in at the moment are LSO (Large Send Offload)

On my system I have two listed (IPv4) and (IPv6): both "Enabled".

However, some of what I have been reading suggests that, depending on the network adapters, some combination of "Enable" and "Disabled" may solve the slow upload.

Here is the link (very old):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ethernet/0db43659-f4a9-4d7d-aa6b-5ab29f25cc6d

Solution
Oct 29, 2020
Two things:

---- ----------- ------------ --------------- -------------

"Name" being your network name.

Overall the Get results are a nice consolidated look at your network adapter's configuration settings.

The settings I am interested in at the moment are LSO (Large Send Offload)

On my system I have two listed (IPv4) and (IPv6): both "Enabled".

However, some of what I have been reading suggests that, depending on the network adapters, some combination of "Enable" and "Disabled" may solve the slow upload.

Here is the link (very old):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ethernet/0db43659-f4a9-4d7d-aa6b-5ab29f25cc6d
I tried the first method and the results were same.
In the second method I don't have any option as Large Send Offload even listed. When I first started searching for this issue I also came across the same link which you have mentioned.

On a side note, when I try to check my upload speed on speedtest, only SOMETIMES the speed goes up to 7-8 Mbps, but as soon as I try to stream my game using OBS to youtube with bitrate set to 4500Kbps, OBS can't keep up with it, like the bitrate will go crazy like 100Kbps to sometimes even 6000Kbps. Where as on wifi I get stable speed of 8-9Mbps even while streaming.
pawfMIl.png