Why is my wifi so slow?!

Guitto

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2015
Okay, so i have Sky Broadband Unlimited which has Average UK Download Speeds of 9MB, Download speeds of 18 MB.

I am gettign 5 download speed and 0.92 download!!! WTF IS THIS.
Also in when on phone, half of my room gets full bars and the other gets 1 bar and keeps disconnecting because the signal is bad. Please help. Its so bad.

Solution
if the wifi signal is weak you can move around the router to see if that improves signal but those results looks like you have is internet connection limitations to me, that is your isp giving you that service, a service you don't like

about phone signal, that has nothing to do with the wifi, that only means that your walls are thick, concrette possibly and that the antenna is far from you or has weak signal in that area

it has to do if the isp uses the same cellphone antenna for the smartphone and for the internet connection as is the case in some rural areas or in some residential areas without optical fibre, adls or coaxial cable coverage

about the speeds, you have a 8 mbps download speed, if your contract says that you should...

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
are ou using the router that sky provided you or are you using your own router conenected to the sky router

from what devices? smartphones, laptops?

don't write in upercase

please run speedtest.net and share the result here

it has no sense what you wrote there

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
What do you get on a wired connection in something like speedtest.net? Signal strength is determined by the router if it is a few rooms away you may not get a very good signal. Especially if on a 5ghz band which is not good at going through walls.

USAFRet

Titan

Why is your WiFi slow?
Because its WiFi.

Very environmentally sensitive.
As you state: "half of my room gets full bars and the other gets 1 bar "

How far are you from the router? What is in between?

Guitto

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2015

What do you mean it has makes no sense? Here are the screenshots of what Sky offers: https://gyazo.com/7faa5f6c38dbe6a30d65cefc44b2c31e

This is what im getting: https://gyazo.com/ffc87949eddee12bcce7accea6d5997a Its usually between 5-7.9 mbps.. changes a lot

And i am using the sky router they sent me and its from my phone that is disconnects, samsung galaxy note 3.

Guitto

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2015

I'm literally less than 5 meters away from the router and theres 2 doors between us, that's it

Guitto

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2015

I dont even get phone signal where i live, i have to go outside to get signal.. maybe thats why??? Should i upgrade my wifi??

USAFRet

Titan

What is the house built of?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if the wifi signal is weak you can move around the router to see if that improves signal but those results looks like you have is internet connection limitations to me, that is your isp giving you that service, a service you don't like

about phone signal, that has nothing to do with the wifi, that only means that your walls are thick, concrette possibly and that the antenna is far from you or has weak signal in that area

it has to do if the isp uses the same cellphone antenna for the smartphone and for the internet connection as is the case in some rural areas or in some residential areas without optical fibre, adls or coaxial cable coverage

about the speeds, you have a 8 mbps download speed, if your contract says that you should have 9, well, call them to see what is happening, if the area has weak coverage or what is going on

they surely ask ypu to repeat test using ethernet and repeat some tsts

one thing i see there is interesting, you have 1 megabit per second of download, shouldn't be 5?

on most connections is 5 to one or 3 to one, a fifth form the download speed or a a third of the download speed

if you have 9 megabits per second of download, a fifth shold be 1.7 to 2 megabits, if a third should be 3 megabits per second

your connection seems to go oe to ten, 10 megabits download, 1 upload

still sounds like a isp thing, call them to confirm details of your contract

Solution