Question Why is my WIN10-64 Pro so slow?

Aug 30, 2024
I have an older HP Compaq 6000 Pro MT. Yes, it is a few (lol) years old, but still works great, if it would just not be slow at times...

My config:
- WIN10-64 Pro
- 2 TB HDD (WIN on it), 1.3 TB free space on it
- 750 GB 2nd HDD (totally empty right now)
- 1 CD-ROM (PC does not recognize second one, different thread)
- Max of 16GB RAM 1333MHz (BIOS and CPU-Z show 399 MHz / 800 MHz, different thread)
- 512GB Nvidia Quadro FX580 GPU (looking for a 2GB, 4GB or even 8GB faster card in the near future)
- Standard 355W Power Supply (might need a new one with a better GPU, Compaq has a sep issue there with different connectors, ugh)
- Internet via Ethernet (not connected via WiFi)
- WiFi connection to the printer, though

I ran all kinds of tests. Per WIN no need for defrag of the HDDs. I did a defrag of the Registration, did check the Reg for mistakes and missing things, virus and malware checks all negative, all tests done got issues at all...

I just added the 16GB RAM (from 8GB before) and the lagginess is a bit better. But some webpages take ages to load and the PC itself (Word, Explorer, even opening up the calculator or a music player, etc) is slow at times.
I will eventually add a 1TB of SDD and move the whole WIN to the SDD (using the HDD as backup and to save pics and music), making it (hopefully) faster, but that is somewhat in the near future.

So what and where is the bottle neck?
Any suggestions what I could do to make it faster and less laggy?

THANK YOU!!!

Couple of different things,

Check temperatures, the CPU could be getting hot, may need new paste, or a good dusting, heck make sure the fan still spins, it is an older system and idk if you ever had it opened up before let alone recently to dust it from time to time.

GPU, also check the temps of that as well, Can use free programs such as HWmonitor, many other out there that will work as well. https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.54.exe

Slow downs in every day use, from booting your PC up, to opening things like a web browser, or a program is mostly going to be held back by the HDD, HDD's are vary slow, and as they age, they tend to get slower, but an over heating CPU can sorta have the same symptoms.

I would suggest getting an SSD and installing windows on it, don't need a big one or an expensive one to make it feel ever faster than it was new, you can still keep the 2TB HDD in the PC for over flow files or programs.

Another thing, the CPU, I'm sure it has a Core 2 Duo, or a Core 2 Quad, they are starting to show their age, so some modern tasks may not be the fastest on it, Core 2 Duo may even be taxed out often being only a dual core.

That system is pretty old, more than few lol, if you are still happy with it, no need to upgrade it, but will have to expect things wont run as fast as they use to epically when software updates or even the OS, Updated Windows 10 is kinda heavy on older CPU's like the Core 2 Duo's these days, But might be better off looking for a faster system, can get some pretty speedy systems for reasonable prices that would run circles around that system.

Good Luck!