[SOLVED] Why is router limiting bandwidth on LAN?

sc1984

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Hello All,

I am trying to stream a 4k movie and having issues. It was working great getting 940 mb/s . One day it started glitching and buffering. I checked the bandwidth and I am getting 94 mb/s. I tested the input cable to the router and getting 850 mb/s. So I know it has to be the router or maybe the cable (doubtful). Any ideas what would randomly cause this? I have a Asus RT-AC66R. I restarted the router, hard reset, and did a firmware update with no luck. I messed around with QOS and nothing. Any help would be appreciated

Solution
You are very limited in things that you can do to fix the speed. This is mostly a hardware function that is detecting voltages etc it is not really software. This is not something new that still has hardware bugs....unlike intels 2.5g ethernet chipsets.

It can really only be 3 things. A bad port in the router, a bad port in the pc, and a bad cable. You have replaced the router, you have tried a different device, and you have tried a different cable. So you should have found it.

The best next option is to assume you have 2 bad cables and try another. There is massive amounts of fake cable on the market. You want cat5e or better but more important is the cable must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no...

sc1984

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
There doesnt appear to be an indiccator of mbit or gbit. I changed out routers to a Netgear Nighthawk7900 and changed the cat6 to cat5e since its the only other cable I have. Still getting 94/mbps. On the nighthawk it is reading it as 100mb and not 1000 but dont know why. The laptop has gigabit capability and cat5e can handle 1000MB. The router is relatively new

You are very limited in things that you can do to fix the speed. This is mostly a hardware function that is detecting voltages etc it is not really software. This is not something new that still has hardware bugs....unlike intels 2.5g ethernet chipsets.

It can really only be 3 things. A bad port in the router, a bad port in the pc, and a bad cable. You have replaced the router, you have tried a different device, and you have tried a different cable. So you should have found it.

The best next option is to assume you have 2 bad cables and try another. There is massive amounts of fake cable on the market. You want cat5e or better but more important is the cable must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

xxxxxxx after thinking, you are using direct ethernet cables, you do not have cables going through wall jacks do you.

Solution

popatim

Titan
Whats your network setup like?

From your R7900 manual:
The LED color indicates the speed: white for Gigabit Ethernet connections and amber for 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps Ethernet connections.
• Solid. A powered-on device is connected to the Ethernet port.
• Blinking. The port is sending or receiving traffic.
• Off. No device is connected to this Ethernet port.

sc1984

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Hello all,

I took your advice and bought a 3rd cable for the sake of arguement. And......it worked. I guess something got kinked in my cable cat6 cable (terminated it myself) and the brand new cat5e must have been crap. Bought a new cat6 and now getting 850mb/s

Reactions: SamirD

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all,

I took your advice and bought a 3rd cable for the sake of arguement. And......it worked. I guess something got kinked in my cable cat6 cable (terminated it myself) and the brand new cat5e must have been crap. Bought a new cat6 and now getting 850mb/s
8 times out of 10 it is the cable, no matter what other things you try. 1 time it is the keysone jacke and that other 1 time is a 2.5Gb driver :)

Reactions: SamirD