[SOLVED] Why is the audio jack not working all the time on my assembled PC?

Pcgolfer07

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
Hi guys. My audio jack on my CPU cabinet has a weird problem. The sound on my PC will only work if I twist in the wire of my audio jack that goes into the cabinet.

I have to twist it at a weird angle, meaning I basically bend my wire a lot just as it's reaching into the audio jack hole. That is the only way sound works and as soon as I let it go, the sound stops working. Does anyone know why it would do that. What part of the hardware do I need to change? The USB and other ports work just fine, only the Audio jack is giving problems.

My specs are Intel i7 4790k, 8gb ram. No bluetooth. Wired assembled CPU.

Solution
There are usually two headphone jacks on the PC. The one at the back of the PC, where you plug in Power Cables, and Video Cables, ETC, is directly attached to the motherboard. If this jack does not work, then it is a motherboard issue. The other jack is on the front of the case, near the power button, and if that one doesnt work, then it could be case or motherboard. What case do you have?
Try another audio device first. Its possible the 3.5mm jack isnt the issue, but instead it is the wire you are plugging in to it. I have had wires start to become frayed before, from the inside where you cannot tell.

If the headphones arent the issue, next try re downloading audio drivers. Find them probably on the motherboard manufacturers webstite

If the audio jack is broken, you would need to replace the Motherboard. If you are using the jack on the front of the PC, near the power button, then it could be motherboard or the case

Pcgolfer07

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
Try another audio device first. Its possible the 3.5mm jack isnt the issue, but instead it is the wire you are plugging in to it. I have had wires start to become frayed before, from the inside where you cannot tell.

If the headphones arent the issue, next try re downloading audio drivers. Find them probably on the motherboard manufacturers webstite

If the audio jack is broken, you would need to replace the Motherboard. If you are using the jack on the front of the PC, near the power button, then it could be motherboard or the case
Thanks for your answer. I did try other headphones and it didn't work but it worked when I tried them on my mobile device, so I think the motherboard or the case could be the problem. I'm just wondering if the motherboard has the audio jack hole embedded in it or if its the case that deals with that part? I looked up what motherboard model I have in my PC and it says ASUS all series.

There are usually two headphone jacks on the PC. The one at the back of the PC, where you plug in Power Cables, and Video Cables, ETC, is directly attached to the motherboard. If this jack does not work, then it is a motherboard issue. The other jack is on the front of the case, near the power button, and if that one doesnt work, then it could be case or motherboard. What case do you have?

Last edited:
Solution

Pcgolfer07

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
There are usually two headphone jacks on the PC. The one at the back of the PC, where you plug in Power Cables, and Video Cables, ETC, is directly attached to the motherboard. If this jack does not work, then it is a motherboard issue. The other jack is on the front of the case, near the PSU, and if that one doesnt work, then it could be case or motherboard. What case do you have?
Omg thanks! You're a lifesaver... I completley forgot about the jack in the back. I've been frustrated with the one in the front for so long now. The jack at the back is working. I'm not sure what case I have but the one in the front seems to have the problem. It's working fine now. I still have to probably get the one in the front repaired sometime in the future.

One thing that I have started doing for audio that has made using multiple audio devices much easier, is to use USB, actually. A USB device is treated different than a Aux audio device. I use a USB Headset and a USB to 3.5mm adapter for my desk speakers. This allows me to switch between the two devices from the Windows taskbar, without plugging or unplugging any cables. just something to think about.

Glad I could help with your issue nonetheless.