[SOLVED] Why is the PSU fan is too loud?

recoacar

Prominent
Jul 14, 2019
Last week I have built a new pc. Also another friend of mine bought the same parts and same case. My power supply fan (or I can say i suspect from it, by listening) is going crazy as soon as windows open. It doesn't make sound on my friend's pc. What could cause this problem? And is there anything to fix it besides RMA?
The PSU is Thermaltake 80+ Bronze 850W.

Last edited:
Solution
Certainly two identical builds being operated with the same load, in the same ambient temperature should have the fan operate at the same RPM.

So RMA your PSU and see if it's just a faulty fan controller.
Thermaltake 80+ Bronze 850W

Did you get the Smart Pro RGB 850W? https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-smart-pro-rgb-850w-psu,5071.html

If so, that PSU is known to have an "aggressive fan profile".

It's not a great PSU. It's only mediocre at best. It has a Hong Shen (read: garbage) fan with a sleeve bearing (read: garbage) and a simple thermistor circuit for the fan control (also read: garbage). And you wonder why it's loud?

Your friend bought ALL the same parts? Is EVERYTHING set up the same way? Are both of you using a PC in the exact same type of environment (ie. room temperature)?

recoacar

Prominent
Jul 14, 2019
Did you get the Smart Pro RGB 850W? https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-smart-pro-rgb-850w-psu,5071.html

If so, that PSU is known to have an "aggressive fan profile".

It's not a great PSU. It's only mediocre at best. It has a Hong Shen (read: garbage) fan with a sleeve bearing (read: garbage) and a simple thermistor circuit for the fan control (also read: garbage). And you wonder why it's loud?

Your friend bought ALL the same parts? Is EVERYTHING set up the same way? Are both of you using a PC in the exact same type of environment (ie. room temperature)?
Yes that’s the power supply. And also yes we have the exact same configuration and we set it up in the same office, that’s why I think there must be something wrong (at least louder than my friend’s psu).