Question Why Isn't New SATA SSD Install Not Showing In BIOS Boot Sequence?

ctrek

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
I am using a Dell Inspiron 3668 desktop pc, with a Seagate1TB HDD, and a CD/DVD ROM drive.

My goal: Install a 250GB Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSD for Windows 10 OS, and applications. Using the existing 1TB HHD for storage only.

Thus far, I have done the following:
  • Unplugged the HHD
  • Installed the SATA SSD in a PCIe slot, plugged its cables into where the HDD was previously
  • Installed the OS onto the SD using a flash drive
  • Installed the Dell drivers
  • Installed applications
  • Plugged the HDD into open power and other motherboard sockets supporting an additional drive
Having checked the BIOS to change the boot order, the SATA SSD is not present in Boot Sequence, only the Windows Boot Manager option. I’ve swapped the wires around a bit, and the old HDD shows up as an option. The SATA SSD only shows in the Drives list.

The SATA SSD plugged in alone boots, goes into windows, and all applications function fine.

I’m new to this, and clearly have along the way have done something incorrect. All feedback welcome!

ctrek

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
Foremost, thank you for your military service, and your contributions here at Tom's Hardware.

What a quick response! It's been a struggle, for sure. Is it necessary to reformat the 1TB HDD or can all the OS and other files be deleted?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Foremost, thank you for your military service, and your contributions here at Tom's Hardware.

What a quick response! It's been a struggle, for sure. Is it necessary to reformat the 1TB HDD or can all the OS and other files be deleted?
if the older installation of Windows on the HDD was installed using MBR then no, just deleting OS files won't help.
You need to backup important data first, then reformat that drive.