Question Why Kraken X63 RGB installation instructions don't mention connecting to an RGB header?

Apr 22, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm weighing the pros and cons of buying an AIO cooler. The cooler I have in mind is the Kraken X63 RGB. I've never installed an AIO cooler before, so I decided to read the instruction manual to get a feel for the process. The installation instructions demonstrate how to (1) supply power to the pump, (2) connect the pump to CPU_FAN, (3) connect the pump RGB cable to a radiator fan, (3) allow for USB control over the AIO cooler, (4) sync RGB between the radiator fans, and (5) daisy chain the radiator fans presumably to a SYS_FAN header.

Now, all of this may seem good and well, but I'm a little perplexed as to why there is no mention of using any of the motherboard's RGB headers. It is my understanding that typically an RGB device is connected to the motherboard's RGB headers so their colors can be controlled. Can anyone provide some guidance on this? Are the motherboard's RGB headers used internally somehow? I just don't understand why I'm not going to connect anything to an RGB header even though this is an RGB device.

Thanks for reading.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yep, that's how those lights are powered and controlled. In fact, it would be hard NOT to do it that way. The ARGB lighting connectors used for those fans are non-standard. They are designed to connect to each other in a daisy-chain arrangement, with the first of the chain plugged into the proper output connector among those on the three-headed Breakout Cable from the PUMP unit. Trying to connect that chain instead to a mobo ARGB header would be troublesome in many ways.

It is not clear to me whether the NZXT CAM software utility used for this ALSO can control lights elsewhere in your system that are connected to a mobo header. If not, that would leave those non-NZXT lights controlled by a different software tool supplied with your mobo, and then the two lighting systems would not be completely synchonized. That may not be an issue in your system, though.

Apr 22, 2023
I appreciate the additional insight.
It is not clear to me whether the NZXT CAM software utility used for this ALSO can control lights elsewhere in your system that are connected to a mobo header. If not, that would leave those non-NZXT lights controlled by a different software tool supplied with your mobo, and then the two lighting systems would not be completely synchonized. That may not be an issue in your system, though.
I'm probably going to stay within the NZXT ecosystem as far as RGB devices go, since the only RGB devices I would need after the cooler are two more RGB fans to help with exhaust. I suppose I'll need to buy a two more fan-to-fan cables and daisy chain the exhaust fans to the radiator fans to see RGB on the exhaust fans.