Why MSI Click Bios 5 not showing my bootable kali linux usb device?

Amit_105

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
I purchased a new gaming computer..
Specs:
32 GB RAM
GTX 1080
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.01 GHz
liquid cooling
8 ports of 3.0 usb

and when i wanted to boot into the hackintosh os (mac os x client) or other like my kali linux, in the boot menu i dont see the usb devices, i see like the windows boot manager (windows 10) and other name of port (realtek something and it showing windows)

my options in the bios are:

legacy support: on
fast boot: on (i tried to disable it its not works)
secure boot: off
boot mode: UEFI

bios: MSI CLICK BIOS 5 FOR GAMING EXPERIENC

HI guys the problem solve... i just messed up some settings

Amit_105

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

no, this is sandisk cruzer 64 gb and i dont know why its not listed or showing in the boot menu

I ran in to something like this with the latest Linux mint as long as the windows [7] drive was connected the Linux drive was not recognized with older Linux mint 15 and below I never ran in to this worked as allways and as normal just choose the drive with what ever os I wanted to boot to and go ,, zip zap pow at desktop

like you I seem and thought it had to do with the uefi but ??? so if I need to boot to my Linux drive I have to remove / uplug the sata cable form the windows drive and then it all works and boot right up ..

that's as far as I got with it just laxy and its easy to unplug/ swap the sata cables

I don't do the usb stick thing but I do the live dvd's

with them when its in the optical drive [I only got one ] 2 show up to boot from one is plane old optical drive [i'll assume legacy ] and one under uefi ??

but anyway old Linux no issues , new Linux this issue - so remove the windows drive and see if the usb will then come up as a boot device to select ?

crazy

Amit_105

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

(the thing that i wrote deleted somehow...) i tried anything yesterday, but it didn't work, msi click bios 5 its for gaming. so i dont know what is the problem, the older bios's works better, but i cant install them, i need to stay with this bios to make the computer work properly. because my motherboard is msi. any more help?

ok, wow that MSI site sure hurts my eyes with all that hype and multi colored text now I got a headache ..

anyway I do like how it says Click BIOS 5 is the latest UEFI BIOS with optimizations for modern operating systems , but the screen shots are for click bios 4 ??

https://www.msi.com/blog/detail/uefi-bios

then this I wonder if that may really mean win-10 only?? and anything else its ''grayed out '' ???

''MSI CLICK BIOS 5 is the next generation UEFI BIOS with optimizations for Windows 10.''

only thing is maybe a bad bios ? could try a older/ newer bios then the one you on now like there seems plenty to choose from on this board ?

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5.html#support_download

this from one of the bios foot notes looked interesting

''When USB and Audio controller are disabled and then system would not able to work properly ''

are the usb settings disabled ??? or can you even get that far to check to see ??

Amit_105

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

this is the problem, please understand...

when i am in the boot menu.. right? so i see only 2 things.

1. Realtek device something... (booting to windows 10)
2. Windows boot manager (also booting to windows 10)
3. Enter Setup.

i changed something yesterday, my computer crashed, i needed to reinstall windows 10...
and reset UEFI firmware. i did this.

i can't install other bios, i told you, the only bios i can is MSI Click Bios, but the older also be like that, i need a textual bios, the older.

I don't know why is that happening, this is a brand new computer, new bios, so why i can't see all the bootable USB devices in the boot menu? MSI need to fix it. They giving new bios, so they need to give it easy UI and stuff to make all of us understand it. But anyone can't understand it so i am asking for help.

again, i don't see all the USB devices on the boot menu, i tried all the solutions, didn't work. i was googling a hour about this thing. didn't found a thing.

If someone had this problem and found a solution, please help. Thanks.

I just used that board I linked as a example seeing you have not told us what motherboard your using in any way but its a MSi ??

sounds like youi need to get on the horn to MSI support team or rma for something that may work as expected

so you disconnected the windows 10 drive fully from the motherboard ? then reset / cleared cmos - boot in to bios and see whats there ? maybe see if the usb is disabled somewhere ?? then with one usb drive of a OS' set the boot order to usb as first boot device and restart ??

sad thing is all I see at MSI is a lot of HYPE funkey colored hard to read pages and not real plain to read info on anything there site is miserable and hard to look at

if nothing else maybe you got a lemon motherboard ?? we all do from time to time

looks like your not alone on this ?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3174840/bios-booting-usb-msi-motherboard-msi-click-bois.html

then

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3157369/click-bios-find-ssd.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3116910/msi-click-bios-dosent-fit-screen.html

maybe just one of them things your stuck with

Amit_105

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

my bios is in the factory settings i didnt disconnected anything. and yeah ! the links are what im meaning. i cant boot from usb devices

well maybe post over on there threads and see if you guys can put your heads together on something ??

may just be ya'll got a buggy bios ?

may look at your boards support page and see if any new bios with fixes is now available [ seeing your not telling what board you have ] so I cant help muck there too many toi take a wild guess as I did above ?

or just reflash the bios you got

amyway I would get with MSi support and get that ball rolling on there end if needed to send back or what ever

Amit_105

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

this is a brand new computer nothing is glitchy or buggy or something. its just the bios i thinks, theres no option for boot this device or its like more advanced so no one knows how to use it .

Amit_105

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

other system? like taking other computer with the same bios and trying to see if it showing in the boot menu? no i didn't but ill try today.

MajinSam

Reputable
Sep 13, 2016
I also am having this issue on Click 5 with a Krait Gaming 3x mobo. The ports work...using the Board Explorer feature shows that a "Sandisk Cruzer 4gb" is in the port. Boot priority is set to UEFI USB. Tried with strictly UEFI, AND Legacy/UEFI...secure boot off...but the only thing that posts in boot menu when i hit F11 before going into the UEFI is my SSD. Granted, im not 100% sure the stick was formatted to be bootable (my friend loaned it to me and it has a cracked 7 and 10 Windows OS on it and conveniently cant remember if he used IT or the disc that he also had). Ive looked around on how to determine by exploring the contents of the USB stick whether or not it is a bootable drive but cant find much...didnt think to try booting it from my laptop, but I will. Downloaded the Rufus program which apparently would format the stick so I didnt use it, as then I wouldnt have Windows on it anymore lol! My naivity led me to think itd be pretty sweet not having to add more movable parts such as an optical drive and whatnot...now im kicking myself for it. Friggin $1200 paperweight!

Amit_105

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

You don't need to install Rufus, if you used a program that writing iso to usb it will be make the usb bootable so, its the bios problem, i dont know why, the older bios's are the best i think, ill send message to MSI Support with a hope that ill get a solution instead waiting...

harinadh

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

hi, I would like to know how did you solve your problem, Iam about to buy a MSI laptop. Is it okay to boot kali linux in it without any problems?