[SOLVED] Why my 2 front PC fans act like it exhaust air, but actually I configured it as intake fans?

Aug 19, 2020
NEED HELP!

Hi, I still confuse till this day why my 2 front PC case fans act like an exhaust fans, but I actually set it as intake fans. My other intake fans work just fine, but this 2 front fans act weird, I 100% sure and have make sure those 2 fans set as intake fans. I still feel a bit air coming into case through that front fans, but when I tested it with thin paper, tissue, even plastic, those 2 fans sucked the objects that I put in front of it. I have no idea why it's happening.

My PC Case: Darkflash DLM22 (doesn't have mesh holes or ventilation in front case, only has mesh holes besides the case, the other side is tempered glass.

My PC fans configuration right now:
1 rear intake fan
2 top exhaust fans
2 front intake fans

Things I've done:
  1. Switch the fan with other fan brand (didn't work) (which means it's not about the fan, maybe about the PC ventilation or something)
  2. Tried to set new fans configuration, hoping the airflow will get better (didn't work)
  3. Open the tempered glass (didn't work)
Your suggestions will be helpful :)

Last edited:
Solution
From the pictures and reviews I found for your case it has terrible air flow from the front fans.
Not recommended for high performance parts.
The little slots down the side provide half of their air and the slots inside provide the other half of their air.
Which means little air flow and about half of it is recirculated hot air.
Looks good but has terrible cooling.
My other intake fans work just fine, but this 2 front fans act weird, I 100% sure and have make sure those 2 fans set as intake fans.

1 rear exhaust fan
2 top exhaust fans
2 front intake fans

What other intake fans? The 2 front ones are your only intake fans.

As far as I know, all fans act the same way. The side of the fan with the 'grill' should have air coming out of it. In other words, if the fan is spinning, you should feel air coming out of the side that has a grill.

Fans have arrows to indicate direction of flow and direction of rotation. Verify with your manfacturers' manual online or with what came in the box. I think looking at the fan label it should spin clockwise.
Case shows air comming in thru side slits- Only other thing I think you can do is to get larger fans if they'll fit.

NEED HELP!

Hi, I still confuse till this day why my 2 front PC case fans act like an exhaust fans, but I actually set it as intake fans. My other intake fans work just fine, but this 2 front fans act weird, I 100% sure and have make sure those 2 fans set as intake fans. I still feel a bit air coming into case through that front fans, but when I tested it with thin paper, tissue, even plastic, those 2 fans sucked the objects that I put in front of it. I have no idea why it's happening.

My PC Case: Darkflash DLM22 (doesn't have mesh holes or ventilation in front case, only has mesh holes besides the case, the other side is tempered glass.

1 rear exhaust fan
2 top exhaust fans
2 front intake fans

Things I've done:
  1. Switch the fan with other fan brand (didn't work) (which means it's not about the fan, maybe about the PC ventilation or something)
  2. Tried to set new fans configuration, hoping the airflow will get better (didn't work)
  3. Open the tempered glass (didn't work)
Your suggestions will be helpful :)
There are intake or exhaust fans, it just depends on how they are turned.

Aug 19, 2020
Fans have arrows to indicate direction of flow and direction of rotation. Verify with your manfacturers' manual online or with what came in the box. I think looking at the fan label it should spin clockwise.
Case shows air comming in thru side slits- Only other thing I think you can do is to get larger fans if they'll fit.
What other intake fans? The 2 front ones are your only intake fans.

As far as I know, all fans act the same way. The side of the fan with the 'grill' should have air coming out of it. In other words, if the fan is spinning, you should feel air coming out of the side that has a grill.
Sorry, before that, I used 1 more fan as an intake fan

Aug 19, 2020
What is telling you "act like an exhaust fans " ?
I tested it out with thin paper, and it sucked the paper to the fan which means it was doing exhaust kind of thing, i put the thin paper at the back of the fan, not front, the back side should push air through the case, but it wasn't pushing my thin paper but sucked it.

Aug 19, 2020
If that is what happens, flip them over.
no, that's not it, I mean when I try to feel where the air go with my hand, it still blows a bit of air to the fans (which is intake). But somehow it also sucked air (tested with thin paper). I really confuse how is that such thing could happened, because it is totally impossible that intake fan act like an exhaust fan. I think it is about the case, the front side has no ventilation at all, only available beside the case.

USAFRet

Titan
no, that's not it, I mean when I try to feel where the air go with my hand, it still blows a bit of air to the fans (which is intake). But somehow it also sucked air (tested with thin paper). I really confuse how is that such thing could happened, because it is totally impossible that intake fan act like an exhaust fan. I think it is about the case, the front side has no ventilation at all, only available beside the case.
Testing by hand is inaccurate.
Tissue paper will tell.

DSzymborski

Titan
Well, those are definitely set up as intake. Most likely you have a weird airflow situation in your case, given that you have two front intakes that really don't do much. I'm not familiar with the case; is there any more room in the back or the bottom for intake?

Aug 19, 2020
Well, those are definitely set up as intake. Most likely you have a weird airflow situation in your case, given that you have two front intakes that really don't do much. I'm not familiar with the case; is there any more room in the back or the bottom for intake?
no that's not act like intake, i put the tissue paper from behind, not from the front of the fan. The idea is if i put the tissue paper in the front of the fan, yes it will sucked the tissue paper, but my problem is, when i put it behind the fan, it SUPPOSED to PUSH the tissue paper, knowing that the front is taking air. BUT, it didn't, it also sucked the tissue paper, just the same when i put it in front of the fan. Wasn't that weird?

USAFRet

Titan
From INSIDE the case, It is doing this?
018.jpg

Aug 19, 2020
Theyre not actually doing anything but making noise.

See that case advertises as having venting on the right hand side (and it does from outward appearances), but the internal tray completely blocks those vents off.

Shocking bad design, using the term 'design' very very loosely.
it's not blocked, actually besides the front fan holder, i just didn't capture it in the photo, there are holes to receive the air that was taken from outside of the case. it is not totally blocked it

Oh! No holes in the front of the case? So where are the fans in front of the case supposed to get fresh air from? I guess from the side of the case with the mesh holes? Please tell me those mesh holes are not blocked. My guess is, assuming the holes on the side are not blocked and both sides of the case are CLOSED, the design of the case will cause air to be sucked in from the side holes and through the fans and into the case. If you can try the tissue paper test with both sides of the case closed!

DSzymborski

Titan
Oh! No holes in the front of the case? So where are the fans in front of the case supposed to get fresh air from? I guess from the side of the case with the mesh holes? Please tell me those mesh holes are not blocked. My guess is, assuming the holes on the side are not blocked and both sides of the case are CLOSED, the design of the case will cause air to be sucked in from the side holes and through the fans and into the case. If you can try the tissue paper test with both sides of the case closed!

Honestly, from the design of the case, I expect a pitifully small amount of air is actually sucked in through the side mesh.

Reactions: CountMike