Why my copper water block blue? Is it corrosion?

Tech_4

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
I bought a 20 usd copper water block very recently from amazon http://and when I got it was all everything was good fresh new copper and since I didn't have the other water cooling parts I stored it but then a day later it started turn black on the copper base. I try to clean but it just won't go away. I searched out online that vinager can clean the copper and it worked but then return again to black. Then I decide to put clorox to restore it's original color and it work for while but then it blue/ green. What can I do to fix this?

Solution
Copper oxidises in air, and heat will accelerate the process. The patina that copper acquires will also differ depending on what chemicals/oils are present on the surface or what was used to clean it last. If you just left it covered in fingerprints then the oil from those will affect the colour also. Just accept that it's going to happen or if it bothers you either clean it regularly or switch to a nickel plated block.

Whiplash450

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Copper oxidises in air, and heat will accelerate the process. The patina that copper acquires will also differ depending on what chemicals/oils are present on the surface or what was used to clean it last. If you just left it covered in fingerprints then the oil from those will affect the colour also. Just accept that it's going to happen or if it bothers you either clean it regularly or switch to a nickel plated block.

Solution

Tech_4

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

Does it effect the water cooling performance though? It just the copper base of the water block that is like that. The inside of it fine.

Whiplash450

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Performance is not affected it's just the visual look of it. Any corrosion/discolouring only happens to the material exposed to the air.