Question Why my games start after ~4-minute doing nothing?

Mar 19, 2023
Hello,

For few days I have a strange behaviour on my laptop and can't find any help on google.

When I launch a game, I have a ~4 minutes delay before it actually starts.

During this time my PC is not slow or underpowered and I can quickly navigate to other software or my browser.
BUT, if I make any actions (like to go to another url, open a folder explorer window or start another application) they will all run at once, later, when the game starts.

I don't play a lot of different games, but I tried with :
  • LoL : the launcher is fine, but when a game start, I have the issue.
  • Halo Infinite : issue happening when starting the game
  • Marvel Snap : no issue (maybe because this a not really a 3D fullscreen game?)
Do you have any clue on what's happening?

PS : I am not sure to the thread is in the correct section, sorry about that.

Mar 19, 2023
Welcome to Toms hardware.

As always we ask for lots of details, full system specs, posting a video might can help too.

Hello Sonofjesse, I have the details you required ;-)

video : https://www.mediafire.com/file/qfbhppt4g4uuv0s/screen+record+-+20230220_1322.mp4/file
I just start a LoL game.
  • The first 30 seconds are just game creation in the launcher, and everything is smooth.
  • Then, during 3 minutes of waiting :
    • I can use steam, interact, go back to desktop and LoL Launcher
    • I try to open a "folder explorer window", the "nvidia control panel" and the "ctrl+alt+sup" panel. But they open only when the game starts.
  • Finaly, the game start an load pretty fast.

Full system specs : https://www.mediafire.com/file/m8azd5dy0tw9ot3/full-specs.txt/file

Tell me if you need anything else.

Mar 14, 2023
I remember having similar issues with windows 7 / Reinstall seemed to work for me, but you can try with integrity of windows files / system restore as I was unexperienced back then.
  1. Enter "cmd" in the Windows search bar.
  2. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
  3. Enter the command "SFC /scannow" and press Enter. ( Be sure to add a space between "SFC" and "/scannow")

Mar 19, 2023
I remember having similar issues with windows 7 / Reinstall seemed to work for me, but you can try with integrity of windows files / system restore as I was unexperienced back then.
  1. Enter "cmd" in the Windows search bar.
  2. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
  3. Enter the command "SFC /scannow" and press Enter. ( Be sure to add a space between "SFC" and "/scannow")

Hello GFLAWLESS,
Thank you for the tip, unfortunately it didn't solved my situation.

On the first run of the command, Windows found some anomalies and fixed it. Then I reboot, re-run the command, no more issue. But on a game launch nothing changed :(

I also checked the usage of the CPU, GPU, RAM and DISK during these 3~4 minutes, but nothing, the usage is low and the graphics are flat.

Mar 14, 2023
Hi,
Try running Windows Memory diagnostics or download MemTest and make a bootable USB drive if you have one. Then check your memory for errors. This thing is process related you're saying that it only started less than week ?

Has anything happened prior that occurring - a Windows Update perhaps?

Right click on Windows (Start Button) and Open Device Manager - do you see any question marks there?

I recall I had the very same issue, but that was such a long time ago I forgot how I fixed it xD

Edit - Try to boot into safe mode and see if the issue still persists. (with networking)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023
Hi,
Try running Windows Memory diagnostics or download MemTest and make a bootable USB drive if you have one. Then check your memory for errors. This thing is process related you're saying that it only started less than week ?

Has anything happened prior that occurring - a Windows Update perhaps?

Right click on Windows (Start Button) and Open Device Manager - do you see any question marks there?

I recall I had the very same issue, but that was such a long time ago I forgot how I fixed it xD

Edit - Try to boot into safe mode and see if the issue still persists. (with networking)

Thanks for the leads! It gave me the following results:
  • No error found with Windows Memory diagnostics.
  • No question marks in the Device Manager panel.
  • No improvement in safe mode.
  • And yes, there was a Windows updates the day my troubles started... But I uninstalled it and nothing changed :(
I guess I'll have to reinit my PC :(

Mar 14, 2023
Thanks for the leads! It gave me the following results:
  • No error found with Windows Memory diagnostics.
  • No question marks in the Device Manager panel.
  • No improvement in safe mode.
  • And yes, there was a Windows updates the day my troubles started... But I uninstalled it and nothing changed :(
I guess I'll have to reinit my PC :(

I would suggest you go and try with windows forums and if that doesn't help .. well I guess it's just an update gone bad :(

Mar 19, 2023
I would suggest you go and try with windows forums and if that doesn't help .. well I guess it's just an update gone bad :(

Ok, bad news, I reinit my computer and I still have the issue.

Does it makes any sense?
I reinstalled Windows with all the updates, maybe it was an error to do so? Or it means it is an issue hardware related?

Mar 14, 2023
Ok, bad news, I reinit my computer and I still have the issue.

Does it makes any sense?
I reinstalled Windows with all the updates, maybe it was an error to do so? Or it means it is an issue hardware related?

Sorry to hear that, did you use the same copy of Windows you did previously?

I think this might be the right article for you: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-but-the/4dc63f73-820d-4ffa-9ac6-26dd409c4f95

Apart from that all I can think is drive issues, but it doesn't make much sense as you will be getting different type of behaviour too.

Did you test it before updates or only after?

Make sure to install updates 1 by 1, don't let windows install them for you automatically as some updates have perequisite updates and if that certain update fails or gets corrupted during install next one will do so too, hence you get an issue.

Uncheck receive reccommended updates for the rest of your system hardware. As some updates may not be fully compatible with your laptop's hardware. Always trust manufacturer for them, as Windows tend to screw this a lot.
Same goes for Windows distributions too, if you ain't had it from Microsoft's website you better get it from there.

And no, I dont think it is hardware related, but it won't do harm to check your system drive as well. HDD Sentinel is fast to do so and will give you detailed information for all your drives health.

Good Luck! Keep us informed :)

Last edited: