Why my pc changed all software to 0bytes

Oct 16, 2018
I clicked on one app which i don't know then it changed all software i have in my pc to 0bytes. How can i repair it please

Ralston18

Titan
Virus?

Have you scanned your system and the USB Flash to identify and, hopefully, remove the virus?

If so, was the virus identified?

If the virus can be identified then there may be some way to undo the damages.

Open the command prompt and look at the folders and files therein - can you see the file sizes and date/time stamps?

Ralston18

Titan
You mentioned "cmd"

Were you working in command mode or did you click some shortcut link that executed a batch file.

Read the following links:

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/computer-recovery/recover-0-byte-files-in-windows-10-8-7.html

https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/restore-0-byte-files.html

Are any of the steps listed in the links similar to something you did or were trying to do?

Do not do anything for now. Just read and explain more about what happened.

Also: do you have backup copies of your data?

Ralston18

Titan
Those links are not recovery software.

The links present ways to correct/fix the 0 byte problem via the Command Prompt.

Where did you get the shortcut link that you clicked? Does the file name end in ".bat"?

If so, you should be able to view that file via Notepad. What command lines and parameters are inside?

Ralston18

Titan
Read the links.

Go online and search for similar links.

Do you have admin rights to your computer?

Probably so if the original .bat file was allowed to execute.

Are you familiar with using the Command Prompt? If not find a knowledgeable family member or friend (not the friend you gave you the USB drive) to help.

Someone who knows about DOS commands and/or Powershell.

Ralston18

Titan
What was the original reason for getting the USB flash drive from your friend. What were you planning to or trying to do?

Were you trying to upgrade or update Windows?

Without some information about the .bat file (or any files at all) I doubt that much can be done.

You may need to completely reinstall your operating system and data.

Oct 16, 2018
I was trying to take photo folder from him by using his usb flash from his pc i was not trying to update any thing
If i reinstall window at all i fear that i will lost every software setup and document i have

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure what to suggest at this time.

Based on the overall circumstances and the sequence of events that you describe your options are limited.

Anything you do may cause loss of data or make any recovery impossible.

If possible, back up your files and/or clone your drive. Even if "0 Bytes".

Then follow the steps listed in the Easus link provided in my second October 18th post.

You may or may not be able to recover. You may well need to reinstall windows.