Question Why NAS can access files from different OS?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, on Windows PC, Mac and Linux platforms, we need to format the drives to respective OS. Although there are some ways for Mac to access Windows files, there are some limitations such as filename length, Windows cannot access files made under Mac OS, etc.

How come a NAS can access files from different OS and platforms? Are there limitations such as those I just mentioned when it deals with Windows OS, Mac OS, iOS and Linux?

Hi, on Windows PC, Mac and Linux platforms, we need to format the drives to respective OS. Although there are some ways for Mac to access Windows files, there are some limitations such as filename length, Windows cannot access files made under Mac OS, etc.

How come a NAS can access files from different OS and platforms? Are there limitations such as those I just mentioned when it deals with Windows OS, Mac OS, iOS and Linux?
NAS would have own CPU, RAM etc and also run own OS with disks in it formatted to what that OS uses and should be able to translate to and from it.

Reactions: falcon291

USAFRet

Titan
So NAS is like a computer that does the job of translating files from different OS/platforms that are incompatible with each other?
Its not "like a computer"...it IS a computer.

Has its own operating system. Usually Linux based.

In the QNAPs, currently QTS 5.0

Reactions: CountMike

USAFRet

Titan
It is a computer. you can even make it out of any PC, with a dual network connector or thru a router, allyou need is appropriate OS. I had one running a Microtic OS.
Indeed.

My previous house server was a regular Windows based system, i5-3570k.

I could use this QNAP as a regular PC if I chose to.
It is a powerful server in a little box. Mouse/kbd control, HDMI out to a TV or monitor, even comes with a remote to control playback.

Reactions: CountMike

TRENDING THREADS