Why not just limit people to 448 posts per fortnight ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Good idea or not ?

• Yes - Good Idea

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • No - Bad Idea

Votes: 46 56.1%
  • Where is the option to add 100 useless one liners ?

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I want candy / <Insert funny one liner worth reading here>

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Meh this post is in the wrong area...

I think The Other would be a more appropriate place for this post.

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Under these ridiculous rules that you suggested, you are already done with half the posts for the day tabris (5 of 10). This would limit exactly what these forumz are for: communication :wink:

this is not the solution!

I've changed it to 32 a day, possibly on average over a 7 day period, or whatever people think would 'work'.

I know 10 was too hasrh, just needed a round starting number :p

(Read the above for a general idea of the thread) :wink:

Here's a question for you guys:

If you were a moderator, what changes would you make (if any) to this forum, to make it to your liking?

I'd research what most people want, and try not to piss of any 'minority groups' in the process.

I've also never seen a mod step into a forum very often, or take that much of an interest in TomsHardware... not saying it doesn't happen, but if I was a mod I'd take part and try to build a community spirit sort of thing.

Also I'd implement a 'status' of 'Smacktard of THG' for people with an average post count over 32 posts per day :p (over their last 6 months usage only, or less if they are not at 6 months yet, but it would always divide by at least 7, even for a new member who joined less than 7 days ago).

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
There is participation....
.... and there is posting 100 useless messages a day just to 'climb the ladder' for status. (Personally if I see someone who joined in the last 6 months with over 5,000 posts I'll click [Ignore] when seeing their name, unless their posts are worth reading).

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
[
I think this defeats the whole purpose of a forum, which is supposed to be a place for open communication and discussion. By limiting posts, you stifle the point and chase people away from these forums.

Personally, I post quite often, and only a small amount of those are "useless one liners" (its good to blow off steam oncce in a while. Often when I am trying to help someone, it takes at least 5 or 6 posts in one thread. I think limiting posts would ultimately cripple this forum.

You all raise valid points.

So enhance the system to: (on top of the above stuff mentioned that people think would work).

- 448 posts maximum over the last 2 weeks only, which is an 'average' of 32 posts per day, but shouldn't stop people from communicating.

- A given user can only start a maximum of 3 threads per day, until midnight rollover (on server, or by user locale ?)

- Perhaps limit replies to 32 per thread, per user, per day (so everyone could post multiple times in multiple threads).

- The person who starts a thread has much higher limits, perhaps up to 128 posts per day, per thread they start, (maximum of 3 threads per day), by the person that started the thread. Just as now a double post will not increase your post count by 2, it only does it by 1. (I did this above to demonstrate it).

Would the above really be 'limiting' peoples ability to communicate effectively at all ?

I find this thread very useful as 'a discussion', since can see all sides of the arguement, and the voting / poll results are currently in line with what I originally expected. (More against, less for, and over 10% donkey).

A machince could be coded to, and actually follow the 'learning process' I just went though (OK). It still wouldn't 'learn' per say like a human can, it would just do what it was coded to do. (Lets just say I have a passing interest in REAL-WORLD AI, not that fake / hollywood movie AI). The term should really be Synthetic Intelligence.

endyen

Splendid
First off, are you going to be responsible for limiting the posts?
There are people who use the "other" as a chat room, are you going to limit them too?
What about guys like Pickxxx , who babysit a forum, and help a lot of people in one day?

Just so you know, only a few short months ago, the only mod we had was by request. It had been that way for years, and worked fine. The mods we have now, have to work really hard, just to handle the workload they have now.

All those in favor of living in a police state, raise your hand. Our sharpshooters should be able to pick you off, without too much colateral damage.
Oh, and to get as many thanyou pms as I have, sometimes you do have to post a lot.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
You are telling me people are making over 448 useful posts in a 2 week period are you ?

Please direct me to such a person, they must be a machine. 8)
-[Queue Terminator sound track]-

First off, are you going to be responsible for limiting the posts?
No, as this is hypothetical anyway. A machine running code would be 'responsible' for it anyway. :p

There are people who use the "other" as a chat room, are you going to limit them too?

What about guys like Pickxxx , who babysit a forum, and help a lot of people in one day?

Another two excellent points raised. :) (In that limiting the 'other' section is rather dumb anyway, so not doing it is a smart idea, and if people babysit a forum that much perhaps they don't require 'limitations', even if the ceiling is very high, I assume the guy works within a 2 week period and doesn't spend 24/7 in the forums :p).

Think of 32 posts a day 'average', as 448 posts per fortnight.

Does it sound so restrictive then ?

There is participation....
Personally if I see someone who joined in the last 6 months with over 5,000 posts I'll click [Ignore] when seeing their name, unless their posts are worth reading.

You are so missing the point.

You openly achknowledge the fact that you can ignore certain posters by clicking the ignore button...there you go...that's your own little way of setting limits...you have the right to ignore some posts and posters...just as everyone else has the right to post as many messages as they want.

Putting limits on an open and public forum is equal to censorship. This ain't 1940's Germany, this ain't modern day China, and THG isn't some despot ruling over a 3rd world country. This is an open and free virtual society where everyone has the right to post! Period, end of story! Take your totalitarian ideas and posting limitiations somewhere else.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
wth's a fortnight? Is that where we go back to 1634 in pre-blow people up with gunpowder era England or something?

...4 score and 7 fortnight ago...on a day very like this one...i walked 10 miles through the snow...up hill...in a tornado...while it was lightning...with one leg, while carrying grandfather to the hospital...And i didn't complain! Meh!

Isn't this thread supposed to be in the other?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Hey Tabris This is just useless, It'll be much easyer on HumanVariations of the Moderators to just Not impose any Limits. It's up to the Posters and Readers to limit them selfs. Its just like Liquor.
Keep this rime in mind Newbee posters and Vetran Spammers(including me)

"Have a few, its good for you. Have a whole lot more .. Then show yourself out that Door " Lol i made this up by myself Benice

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
You are telling me people are making over 448 useful posts in a 2 week period are you ?

Please direct me to such a person, they must be a machine.

dvdpiddy :wink:

LOL, so true

:lol: Useful posts? Not a snowball's chance in hell. 448 posts? Easy for him.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

LOL, so true

oh, useful!
ROFL!

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

LOL, so true

oh, useful!
ROFL!
Yep, that kid is a damn good entertainer! :lol:

Snowballin' Tru tru
Wassupp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Wassupp!!!!!!!!

WAZZUPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol srry just leaving something funny for the newest Mostuseless thread around.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

LOL, so true

oh, useful!
ROFL!
Yep, that kid is a damn good entertainer! :lol:
*wipes tears of laughter from his eyes