Question Why only one M.2 SSD has heatsink on Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus WiFi

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hey guys;
I am doing my new build, and have two M.2 SSD's. I was curious as to why Asus didn't provide a heatsink for the #1 M.2 drive next to the CPU.
I found a YouTube vid
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMlco-Tp3iM

He takes temp readings using CrystalDisk on both SSD's and the one without the heat sink is much warmer. After adding the heatsink, the one that was without is much cooler than it had been without the heatsink.
He recommends this heatsink from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...9S2DZ&linkId=a061197d33c35acb6b55960ece292e85
I assume that this heatsink will fit my WD Blue just as well as it fit his Samsung 970 EVO drive.

I don't really want to wait for the heatsink to arrive before I finish my build, but it looks like it will be much more difficult to install once the mobo has been installed in the case. I will at least need to remove the graphics card to install the heatsink.
So, what do you think? Is it OK to go ahead and complete the build with only the heatsink on the #2 M.2 SSD, or should I wait.

Edit: Unfortunately, the heatsink I have linked to won't be available until late May or early June. I don't think I can wait that long, so I will keep looking for another one.

Edit: Will any heatsink installed on the #1 M.2 interfere with the graphics card? In the video, it doesn't look like it does, but I don't know what graphics card he has installed.
I have a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super.
Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
Many of the newer ASUS boards have that configuration. I use the M.2_2 for my OS drive (the one with the heatsink) and the other is just storage. It doesn't get nearly as warm as the OS drive so I've left it alone.

I would do the assembly and add the heatsink later unless it arrives soon.

You will have to remove the GPU obviously to install the heatsink on M.2_1 so it is easier earlier in the build. As far as I can determine from looking it does not appear that adding a heatsink will block the GPU slot as it is low profile unless you were to add a fan or something similar.

And while I never though much about it, perhaps I could have used the heatsink from M.2_2 on M.2_1 and then gotten another which would be a lot easier to add after the build.

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Thanks Titan;
I seem to recall someone here saying that I should install the OS on the M.2_1, but I guess that's mainly if you've got one of the really fast PCIE 4.0 drives. Mine are not, so it really shouldn't make a difference.
Still, I could wait. I found one heatsink that I can have by Wed next week. So long as I can power up the system and confirm that everything is working OK, I can wait to install the OS and everything.

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Considering that my SSD's (WD Blue) are only PCIE 3.0, I guess it makes no difference which SSD (M.2_1 or M.2_2) I install Windows 10 on. For now, I would rather install the OS on the one with the heat sink. I plan to purchase a 3rd party heat sink, but before I do, I want to make sure the one I buy will fit. Some mention specifically the Samsung EVO drives, but I really don't see why it wouldn't fit any drive of the same physical size.

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Update:
I have not yet installed the 3rd party heatsink onto SSD #1, but I have made some observations while transferring files onto each drive:
Using CrystalDiskInfo to read temperature, and hitting the F5 key repeatedly to update the temp reading as the drive is working:

Transferring a batch of files onto SSD #2 - the one with the ASUS OEM heatsink:
Starting temp: 42C
Highest temp during transfer: 44C
Temp returned to 42C within a minute after transfer was finished.

SSD #1
Starting temp: 38C
Highest temp during transfer: 43C
Temp returned to 39C after transfer

I can't make any conclusions with this data, but I am going to install the 3rd party heatsink onto SSD #1 and check out the heatsink on SSD #2.

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Well, maybe I would have saved my $11 and just let well enough alone. As it is though, I did buy the hs, so I installed it. While doing that, I also improved on the install of the ASUS hs on SSD #1 by changing the screw that secures the SSD to the standoff from a pan head to a flat head. This eliminated a gap between the heatsink and the chips, which was caused by the heatsink bottoming out on the screw.

So far, I can say that the heatsinks are doing their job. Temperatures appear more stable with than without. That said, I don't believe that anything I am doing with this system is going to put a strain on the SSD, so I am fairly certain that I could have left both heatsinks off without temperatures reaching anywhere close to the throttle threshold.

I have four chassis fans - 2 pulling air in, 2 blowing air out - on a Meshify C case, which itself is one of the better cases for air flow. I don't expect any issues with heat, even if I decide to overclock.

Reactions: OldNoobette