Question Why pc is stuck at motherboard logo when I add a new hard drive ?

Mar 20, 2023
When I add a new HDD, it can't boot. But when it's removed, it boots properly. I already have a 1tb hdd in the system, and I want to add a WD 500gb hdd. My bios is updated, and I also tried hotplugging the hdd. I can' t even enter bios. It gets stuck. And it's weird that it worked before, that problem existed but I somehow managed to use the hdd for few months. But after unplugging it once, the problem started again.

Here Is PSU Label
Can't read it. Too blurry. Resolution too low.
Please remove glass side panel before making a photo.

Is it 20A for +12V rail?
That would mean, it's ~240W PSU.

How old is this PSU? 10 years? 20 years?
Probably can't even provide those 240W.
Anyway - it's garbage.

So either your PSU is causing this or your drive is faulty.
My bet on PSU.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023
Mar 20, 2023
Can't read it. Too blurry. Resolution too low.
Please remove glass side panel before making a photo.

Is it 20A for +12V rail?
That would mean, it's ~240W PSU.

How old is this PSU? 10 years? 20 years?
Probably can't even provide those 240W.
Anyway - it's garbage.

So either your PSU is causing this or your drive is faulty.
My bet on PSU.
How did you calculate the watt? I think you are right, it written 500watt but it is lower. But how did it ran before with 2 hdd? I was using 2 hdd for about 3 months. And the psu is 1 year old.

Another thing I want to tell you, is that my cpu (core i3 10100) score in cinebench 23 is 200 points lower than it is supposed to. Is it because of the psu? It consumes 50watt at cpu stress test. And it doesn't overheat either, at stays 50-60 degree Celsius during stress test.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That PSU is absolutely frightening. That's a PSU designed for PCs Pentium III and earlier and no GPU (so we're talking 1990s and earlier). Even on a lower power PC, this is a serious safety issue, one that should be taken care of now. This is a fire waiting to happen.

Hotplugging with a junk PSU means there's an additional chance that the HDD's hardware has been damaged.

If you want to rule out the HDD, the easiest way is to put it in a small 3.5" enclosure and see if it can be read via USB. Preferably on another PC somewhere that's not running on this PSU.