Why PSUs Fail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I like a CyberPower CP685AVR I got, a few years ago. It's pretty basic, but < $100 and the LCD is nice.

I use it for my router, cable modem, network switch, and a couple other things.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately, the CP685AVR isn't much different than any of the other cheaper UPS. It uses a Simulated Sinewave, which my Minuteman also uses, which is basically a modified square wave. The AVR part is nothing more than a line voltage regulator, great for when the pc is on mains, but useless on battery.

http://www.minutemanups.com/support/pwr_un10.php

Active PFC is gaining huge momentum in the better quality psus, unfortunately the UPS industry is capitalizing on that and charging prices through the roof in order to get a UPS that will work with Active PFC psus. As is, it's end user ignorance, again, there's a lot of ppl who spend good money to protect the psu, and come up short having bought square wave or simulated sinewave UPS that do absolutely nothing when the power goes out.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Okay, my bad. I thought I remembered it being Active PFC-compatible. I can't find anything to support that, however. Not even the LCD version that I have.

I don't use it for PCs, at least. So, maybe I did know that it wasn't, at one point in time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No worries. It's mostly misleading PR and other junk on labels to make things sound way better than they really are. I've installed many an AVR on the house mains, that also happens to serve as a lightning arrestor. They do work very well at cleaning up and regulating voltages, but that's not a huge selling point. Protecting the big-screen from a lightning strike is a whole different thing. (in Florida it'll literally be a lightning storm on one side of the street and bright sunshine on the other).
Just like regulating voltages to prevent psu damage from under/over voltages and surge protections is probably what got your vote back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.