Question Why rts and other strategy games have bad performance?

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
I don´t know if only happens to me, but more often I find strategy games in which you meet recommended specs and still you get bad performance. Such games not necessarily having impressive visuals. I can mention a lot of examples: Attila Total War (this one have very good visuals), Scourge of War Waterloo (not so good visuals, big performance issues), The Great War: Western Front (the demo has performance issues, not great visuals) and other people complain having low fps in Age of Empires, also some AGEOD titles have bad performance despite requirements are very low to gaming computer standards. Do you know why? What is the technical reason/s behind this?

You can't multithread the strategy part of strategy games, you can make the graphics all pretty and run great on many threads, but if you want the units to actually react in a realistic manner then you have to run everything on a single thread one after the other, if you try to optimize it by running different units or nations on different threads then they would do irrational things because they would not react but do random things parallel to each other.

You need to wait for the results of one nation to start making decisions for the next nation.

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
have never found this as an issue through 20+ years of PC gaming.

you don't list any of your hardware or any specific errors you've recieved so we would just figure that you have lower than expected performance due to user error(s)...

Attila Total War is no working well in a lot of computers, including computers with RTX 3080 Ti. I am playing in a laptop MSI GE75 Raider CPU Intel Core i7 10750H, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX 2070 super mobile, 512 GB SSD NVMe. Maybe I should play other games?