Why should I use my gpu as output for my monitor?

lolimstupid

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
So I know that you can use either your integrated graphics or gpu as output to your monitor, but why bother using the gpu? Wouldn't your gpu still be used in the pc over the integrated? Wouldn't it just strain the gpu more?

Solution

The only way you can take advantage of the power your GPU has to offer is to hook up to it directly. Also, I don't recommend using integrated graphics and a graphics card at the same time.

Many motherboards will disable integrated graphics automatically when a card is installed, but some will still allow use of the integrated graphics. If you try to use integrated graphics while using the card as well, the result may be an unstable system that crashes at seemingly random times.

Don't worry about straining...

The only way you can take advantage of the power your GPU has to offer is to hook up to it directly. Also, I don't recommend using integrated graphics and a graphics card at the same time.

Many motherboards will disable integrated graphics automatically when a card is installed, but some will still allow use of the integrated graphics. If you try to use integrated graphics while using the card as well, the result may be an unstable system that crashes at seemingly random times.

Don't worry about straining the graphics card. You see, graphics cards are specifically designed to be pushed to their power limits for days on end. Some of the higher models have no problem running at their limit for several years without a break. The lower models will be fine as long as you shut down at least once a week to allow the card to cool down.

Solution

lolimstupid

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

Thanks! I didn't know that but I guess it kinda makes sense. I was just thinking that because I bought a starter pc for cheap and it has an old gpu that only uses dvi, but I have no cord, or adapter.

If it has DVI but not VGA, then it's probably not that old actually... You see, DVI is a higher standard than VGA, HDMI is better than DVI in many cases (but not all), and DP is the king of display connection standards as far as I'm concerned.

For it to have DVI but not VGA, then the manufacturer must have realized that its maximum output is more than a VGA cable can carry, so they excluded the connector.

bloodroses

Distinguished
Depending on your hardware, it will work (I have personally tried it myself on my desktop), but is not recommended.

I discovered this because I wanted to test my integrated graphics performance (4600) vs my AMD 7770ghz edition. I had plugged the hdmi cord into the integrated graphics port and got nearly the same frame rates on it. I thought that was odd, so I ended up removing the 7770 from the computer and got a completely different (worse) result.

I'm thinking it mainly has to deal with the features of the motherboard itself.

lolimstupid

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

Hey like my username says, I'm stupid! It's NOT dvi it's dms 59. So ye old.