Why should PowerColor be avoided?

compn00b

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2003
Theres a store close to me selling a powercolor 9700 pro for $279CDN. I can't find any other 9800NPs or 9700 pros in my area at least, and I'm not sure whether or not the 9600xt that i'm considering will have enough power. so basically my question is whats wrong with powercolor?

Just Put this reply in the Buyer's Guide Faq discussion thread;

Why avoid PC?

"<font color=purple><i>Build Quality, Ram Quality, and often underclocked cards straight out of the box.

Not a great choice if you have others, especially a choice of the ones on the list to look for.

Unfortunately for some people Powercolor is their ONLY choice. Gotta feel sorry for those people. :wink: "
</i></font color=purple>

They also have a bad habit like GigaPuke... err GigaCube/GeXcube of poorly naming their products.

You will have to make DAMN sure that that R9700"PRO" you are buying isn't one of their early "PRO" models whihc was actually a Non-PRO model that they were simply deceiving people about (ATI doesn't set strong guidelines for OEM-partners' naming strategies, although I think they should). After alot of cheated people and I'm sure alot of complaints, Powercolor finally called that "PRO" the R9700-GOLD.

Add to the above list, usually below average overclocks, and greater than normal issues. Think of them as mediocre. The KIA(or old Hyundai) of the Graphics card world, they are crummy, but they have potential if they translate their cheapo sales into more Bravo Series cards etc.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

JoeB

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003
thanks guys, i guess i'll just go with the cheaper 9600xt. comes with hl2 voucher too :p
even if the PC is a 9700non-pro it's still a lot faster that the 9600xt, the 9600xt would better be a lot cheaper. otherwise I'd go with the 9700pro. The 9600xt does come with HL2 though....hard decision. Glad it isn't mine :)

TRENDING THREADS