[SOLVED] Why so expensive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Is there some legitimate way of getting windows 10 cheaper? paying 120 is a lot
Download it and install it, not registered then when you can afford a legit license buy it and register it.

I've had several people frown on the price, it can take away form the performance parts having to spend the extra money on it especially on a budget build. So I recommend going ahead and getting the best performance you can for the money, then when you can buy it and register it.

EDIT Buy a legit copy not from a hack site.
In practice you don't need a license to run Windows indefinitely. You just lose some non-essential features (mostly customization) and a watermark is displayed on the desktop.

Or you can just switch to Linux and hope a combination of native support, Wine, and Proton can run everything you want.
In practice you can run windows just fine with out activation you just got to put up with a small watermark in the bottom right of your screen ,,, but if you watch certain youtubers videos they offer ways to get 10 cheaper through other means but i wont name any of that.
There, FTFY.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/technically
Definition of technically

1: with regard to or in accordance with a strict or literal interpretation of something (such as a rule, a term, or an official description or designation)

I think I saw Kinguin as a sponsor on Linus Tech Tips so I don't know. $35 seems kind of legit. Once I bought a Win 10 license on eBay for $10 and eight months later it was revoked, lol.
The problem I have with key resellers is I don't know how the reseller obtained the key. The only few ways I know that you can legitimately obtain a Microsoft product license key for less than retail cost is by joining one of Microsoft's programs. And of course, Microsoft simply doesn't let anyone join said programs and the distribution of licenses is limited to just that person. So I believe the most common way is the person stole access to a payment method and started milking it for all its worth. Games I'm a little less skeptical of considering there's plenty of options of "here's a bunch of keys with your purchase", but I still cannot in good faith partake in key resellers.

There are plenty of free (as in beer and/or freedom) alternatives to Microsoft's products, with Microsoft themselves providing free (though limited) versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. And again, you can use Windows 10 indefinitely without a license.

Because literally every other piece of software is cheap here. I just got MS Office 2019 H&S for just $25 (legit) . Then there's Windows sitting there for $150

That is not a "legit" price for Office unless you got it using some discount code from your school. Just because the code works does not make it a legally sold license version. People sell OEM keys all the time for cheap, or volume license keys, does not make them legal copies.

Microsoft does offer area pricing that is cheaper in some areas so people that make less than in the developed countries don't have to spend half their monthly income on a program, but that would come directly from Microsoft or a real MS partner reseller. A lot of those sites have fake credentials for reselling software no matter how pretty their site looks with icons and pictures.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
I bought a W10 license key from Kinguin and couldn't get it to work.

Now I feel horrible for ending up buying a $139 key from Microsoft for this Dell Inspiron 1501 computer that had Windows XP on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.