[SOLVED] Why such a massive USB3.0 cable and connector?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Why do all cases have the same huge, stiff blue USB3.0 cable and connector? Even if the case only has one 3.0 port on it? Better shielding required maybe?

Solution
USB 3.0 does in fact cause massive radio frequency interference on 2.4GHz so kills Wifi and Bluetooth dead.

If you google images of Wifi router boards you will see any that have a USB 3.0 port will have it located off in some far corner and all traces to it heavily shielded with metal plates. In fact the inability to pass FCC EMI certification testing is a major reason why devices that could actually use the extra performance still ship with USB 2.0 ports
USB 3.0 does in fact cause massive radio frequency interference on 2.4GHz so kills Wifi and Bluetooth dead.

If you google images of Wifi router boards you will see any that have a USB 3.0 port will have it located off in some far corner and all traces to it heavily shielded with metal plates. In fact the inability to pass FCC EMI certification testing is a major reason why devices that could actually use the extra performance still ship with USB 2.0 ports

Solution

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Very well explained, thank you. But why are all cases equiped with the same blue cable and connector? Surely it comes in other colors.

Technically, the USB Promoter Group only suggested that plug ends and the plastic blades in the connectors be that color blue to distinguish them from USB 2.0 which is black (USB 1.1 is white). But it seems like everybody has adopted that color for internal cables too--perhaps so anyone shopping online can see the picture and know right away it has the 5 extra wires for USB 3.0.

I have seen some shady sellers hawking blue colored external cables that are only USB 2.0, now that blue has come to suggest a premium or faster product. I don't think it's any standard but yellow to red has come to represent charge-only ports like this orange one:
440px-Orange_USB_port.jpg

If you think about it, the internal cable for that could just be a 4-pin Molex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
My case (300r) has a black USB3.0 internal cable, motherboard header is also black (Z370 FTW).
So its not all anymore.
I just looked up your case on Newegg. It does indeed have a black USB3.0 cable! First case I've seen that didn't have a blue one.
I get BFG-9000's explanation about blue being the distinguishing color for USB3.0. I guess I never thought about that aspect. But, that's why I come here... to learn. Thanks to both of you.

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Isn't blue the colour to show it's USB-3?

Like the picture above, the connector is blue. My USB sticks that are 3 are the same colour. Perhaps they just keep with the colour scheme and make the cable blue.