[SOLVED] Why the glass is usually on the right of computer cases?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I noticed that most computer cases with a side glass usually have it on the right (left when facing the users). How come? Who decided such convention and why?

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
because the motherboard attaches to the left side of the case.

If glass was on left you wold only see the back of the motherboard.

It makes everyone's life easy if there are common standards, that way any mother board and case tah conform to the ATX standard can work with each other.

USAFRet

Titan

Because that's where all the good stuff is.
GPU, CPU cooler, RAM...all the stuff you want to show off.

The other side is just the back of the motherboard tray, and a bunch of wires no one takes the time to properly place.

The ATX standard has dictated a general configuration and placement.

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I think the point here is the system designs date from a time before windowed cases. It sounds like the OP wants [needs] to put his case on the left of his desk and so he can't see the lights as the window is pointing away and presumably against a wall.

It is indeed a long standing design trait. There's a gap for left-handed cases I guess, but how big I'm not sure.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
back in the day dell and hp made cases with the mobo on the left side of the case. it was called the BTX standard and did not last very long. mainly because the ATX standard had it on the right side of the case and anyone wanting to upgrade down the line needed a new case to do it. BTX mobo's were not really sold outside of OEM companies.

it's not just the other side of the case but everything is actually on the opposite side of the mobo as well. if you flip the ATX mobo to the left side, notice that the mobo i/o panel is no at the bottom of the case and the expansion slots are now at the top. the cpu is also flipped and at the bottom half of the mobo as well. everything is in the wrong place for an atx case.the BTX standard moved everything so everything was still in the place you'd expect it to be if you're used to atx parts.

BTX fell out of fashion quickly and no one has bothered doing it again since it does mean a whole new line of parts to work with it including cases. just not worth it for them to develop 2 complete lines just to be able to put the mobo on the other side....

USAFRet

Titan

It is literally an outgrowth of the very first "IBM Personal Computer", and then its successor the XT, in 1983.

The IBM XT was more or less this configuration, and everyone else copied it. Hence the term, "IBM clone".
ATX just standardized it.

USAFRet

Titan
Why right vs left? What follows is pure speculation. Just as plausible as anything else, until further info:

In the early days, a "desktop" system laid down flat, and a "tower" was the standup things we see today.
The "desktop" was far more prevalent. Of course, you could stand it up if you wanted.
And there were no glass/plastic sides.

In this config, the motherboard was on the bottom, and all the components on top of that for easier access.
If you wanted to stand it up on edge...most people being right handed, would lift up the right side of the case. Resulting in the motherboard on the right, and the components on the left.

It just stuck, and eventually grew into the ATX standard config.

Go ahead, prove me wrong.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I believe the reasoning goes back to ships, which have a port (left) and starboard (right) side. The port side was the one you would embark and disembark from, so most airplane and jetway designers followed the same convention.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

This is very interesting. Thanks.