[SOLVED] Why the low write speed ?

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
Hi, my laptop is ASUS X509FA - DB51. I just upgraded my laptops ssd to a SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 500gb. However, the write speed is at the area of 3200 MB/s. It is in the 1700s MB/s only. What is going on ?!

Solution
Other than benchmarking apps like CrystalDiskMark's peak sequential read/write numbers making it 'sure sound slow at only 1/2 speed', most folks won't be able to tell the difference in real world usage anyway....

WHen you build a new rig, get an Intel 660P to slap in the laptop, and take the 970 EVO PLus with the desktop :)

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
The drive it came with doesn't matter (much).
What the chipset does is the determination.

If that port is only x2...that's what it is.
Hi, thankyou for replying. How can I know what chipset my laptop (ASUS X509FA - DB51) has ? I can not find the information anywhere that says chipset. I need to know this

Hi, thankyou for replying. How can I know what chipset my laptop (ASUS X509FA - DB51) has ? I can not find the information anywhere that says chipset. I need to know this
google doesnt have answers, so unless somebody from asus responds, no help there
tho u could open it and take few pictures :)

anyway...
use samsung magician, that will tell you if your connected with 2 or 4 pcie lanes

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
google doesnt have answers, so unless somebody from asus responds, no help there
tho u could open it and take few pictures :)

anyway...
use samsung magician, that will tell you if your connected with 2 or 4 pcie lanes
Correct me if I'm wrong. The laptop's M.2 slot is M key aka 5 pins, so it supports 4 PCIE lanes right? If it only supports 2 PCIE lanes, the M.2 slot should be a B key aka 6 pins.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The laptop's M.2 slot is M key aka 5 pins, so it supports 4 PCIE lanes right? If it only supports 2 PCIE lanes, the M.2 slot should be a B key aka 6 pins.
slot may support x4 lanes, but if wires arent connected, it wont run x4
even if it would be connected with single lane (x1), it would still work
btw B key havent been selling for a while now, its b+m or m in stores now
so what would be point providing B m2 slot if there are no devices for it?

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
slot may support x4 lanes, but if wires arent connected, it wont run x4
even if it would be connected with single lane (x1), it would still work
btw B key havent been selling for a while now, its b+m or m in stores now
so what would be point providing B m2 slot if there are no devices for it?
I didn't know that. Thankyou for helping. Since M key is mainstream now, why would the laptop be limited to PCIE x2 lanes? It should be PCIE x4 lane ready. It doesn't make sense. What if the owner wants to change ssds.

Other than benchmarking apps like CrystalDiskMark's peak sequential read/write numbers making it 'sure sound slow at only 1/2 speed', most folks won't be able to tell the difference in real world usage anyway....

WHen you build a new rig, get an Intel 660P to slap in the laptop, and take the 970 EVO PLus with the desktop :)

Solution

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020

Hi, thankyou for replying. Why Intel 660P? How is it ? What are its advantages to be used in laptop?

I specifically told you that you'd likely be limited to x2 in your other thread, I identified the chipset (Whiskey Lake-U), and also that it doesn't matter since you have no source fast enough to saturate that amount of bandwidth. And specifically said the 970 Pro would be overkill...

Last edited: