Why the Wifi/Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-E needs usb header 9-pin connection?

Erwin_7

Prominent
May 2, 2017
Hi,

I am sorry for my silly question. Trying to google the answer but couldn't find a good one.
I want to put the WIFI/Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-E (product: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1125125-REG/gigabyte_gc_wb867d_i_bluetooth_4_0.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0v_IBRCEzKHK0KiCrKMBEiQA3--1Nma9S7IQ-efPtwcEjueDbukWr1t63_mM8SFAAXzrshIaApBB8P8HAQ#!?currency=EUR&BI=7367&kw=&c3api=2572,113041717267) on my motherboard but I notice the PCI-E needs a USB 2.0 9-pin connection to the motherboard.
My question is, why the PCI-E needs the USB 2.0 9-pin connection? Is it to obtain the power only? or for the data transfer?
If it is for data transfer, shouldn't the PCI-E lane would be enough?
If it is for power only, would it be wasting the usb header connection in the motherboard?

Thank you,
-Erwin

Solution
This is adapter mini pcie to pcie with wifi card in it. Now to why it needs usb. If this was only wifi then it probably wouldn't need that usb. One pcie slot can support one device, but mnipcie combo cards have 2 devices integrated, wifi and bluetooth. So it uses pcie connection for wifi and usb for bluetooth.

Mister_MO

Respectable
Jul 28, 2016
This is adapter mini pcie to pcie with wifi card in it. Now to why it needs usb. If this was only wifi then it probably wouldn't need that usb. One pcie slot can support one device, but mnipcie combo cards have 2 devices integrated, wifi and bluetooth. So it uses pcie connection for wifi and usb for bluetooth.

Solution

Erwin_7

Prominent
May 2, 2017
Hi Mister_MO,

Thank you for the answer. Yes, you are right. I just noticed that all PCI-E card with WIFI only is without the USB 2.0 header connection. Only wifi with bluetooth combo is with the usb header connection.
Thank you for the fast answer.

Mister_MO

Respectable
Jul 28, 2016
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GC-WB867D-I-Bluetooth-Frequency-Expansion/dp/B00HF8K0O6

Look into description. There is still need for that usb to make bluetooth working even in revision 4.2.
"1x PCIe interface for typical desktop PC. Please Note: the card also requires a USB connection to your motherboard to make the Bluetooth functional. REV 4.2 features improved USB connection options now include a pin header or female USB A port. USB Pin header cable included "

Erwin_7

Prominent
May 2, 2017
Hi Mister_MO and madmatt30,

Thank you for all the answer. Will try as per madmatt says to use usb adapter instead of pci-e. Since it is not worth to sacrifice the usb header only for bluetooth PCI-E.