Why the Windows 7 Start Menu is Going Out of Fashion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I'm a power user and HATE the new design - much slower to access things. Also, it's impractical if you pin a lot of stuff. I have 15 progs pinned to the start menu (small icons), 16 things on the taskbar (small icons, takes up a good portion of my 1280x1024 screen), and 40 or so icons on the desktop. How will I deal with metro? Well, I won't. I'll stick with Windows 7. I don't need that metro UI crippling my dual monitor quad-core i5 machine.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I love the start menu of windows :) even ubuntu has something like that :) I love that way ! and I'll never change it unless theres something better.

[citation][nom]malphas[/nom]A good user-interface is one that allows a high degree of customisability rather than enforcing a particular style on the user. If Microsoft make their UI as flexible as possible, the use their usage data to tweak the default settings to suit the majority of users and less technically adept users then they can have their cake and eat it.I've never been satisfied with a Windows GUI on a fresh install, but always been able to customise it to my liking. At present I have nothing pinned to my Taskbar, fourteen of my most used programs pinned to the Start Menu, disabled most of the default user directories like "Documents", ""Pictures", "Games" etc., and have everything in the Notification Area hidden besides the volume control and network status. "Show desktop icons" is disabled. It's a very clean layout and simple/quick to work with, but probably not all like the typical Windows user UI.[/citation]
Exactly! I am the opposite. In reading this I have to keep opening the start menu just to know what people are talking about because I NEVER use it. I have 15 pined programs to the super bar at work, and nearing 30 at home. It is easier to manage and organize, and changes over time to what I am using. Some crazy people litter their desktop with icons which I find morally offensive. But it is just another way people can use the device. The point is that it works either way!

With my habits I will rarely see the metroUI, so I don't care much about it, and kinda like the potential there. But you are right; The start screen will drastically kneecap the ability of people to use the computer they way they want to. especially in it's current unfinished state where nothing can be really customized, only organized.
Let us have more say in what shapes we can use. Give us list views, and smaller/larger tiles. Allow us to use more/less rows in our columns. Let us change the backgrounds and color schemes like our desktop. Let us display system information in the background if we want to, and disable it if we don't. Give us options, we are not mac users. We buy our computers because they are Personal Computers. Extensions of ourselves! Give us control, or at least the illusion there-of, so that we can do things without that feeling that MS is looking over our collective shoulder.
My favorite part of vista/7 is the transparent glass look of the thing. Minimize the font sizes for the bars, use small icons, use a near transparent white, hide the start bar, and you know what you get? A nice, open, clean looking interface that stays out of the way and merely does what it is supposed to: show the content of the programs you are using! No more of the cartoon winXP look, or the blockey win95-2K look. It all just goes away leaving user experience.

And if you like all that junk in your face you can make it as dark and oppressive as your heart desires. The choice is yours for you are user!

\end rant

jdwii

Splendid
Maybe it has something to do with Pining items to the taskbar? That's what i do, I also hate Metro i find it dumb and its going to be hard to look for a program on it versus the current start menu

G

I keep hearing how good windows 8 is. Yet everytime I see another article like this about it I get angrier. This tops it off. I use the startmenu a lot for pinning programs. This hype is trype to me.

G

Yeah and you'd think they don't want us using mouse friendly start menu

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
what most people do is not necessarily the right way.

Why not make the bar at the bottom take half the page so idiots can fill it like a desktop screen.

You can't really exist with 3/4 buttons at the bottom if you're doing anything more than farmworld.

Surprises me that windows don't offer a dumbed down apple version, and then a smart version of the ui. Instead of forcing everyone down one track.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Maybe it has something to do with Pining items to the taskbar? That's what i do, I also hate Metro i find it dumb and its going to be hard to look for a program on it versus the current start menu[/citation]
You have seen a picture and not actually used it, you don't know what you are talking about.

G

...and we are back to the look and feel of windows 3.x (before Windows 95)! I was always a desktop "clutterer" with my most used items (docs, programs, etc.) and never really liked the Start menu. Back in 1995, IBM's OS/2 (the most promising competitor of Windows 95) already had a taskbar where you could pin your programs to it, but the market dominance of Microsoft and the lack of interest from IBM in regaining the desktop market caused the Start menu (and a rather inferior OS at the time) to keep going. Anyways, history is very cyclic.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Negative Nancy's need to stop. Giving someone 20 thumb's down for saying XP's start menu is better? Do you want Tom's to disable the rating system again?

G

@billybobser

10, it is recommended to pin no more then 10 items to the taskbar, simply because only the first 10 can be quick launched with the winkey + 0-9

and if you frequently access more then 10 programs during a work day then i suggest you seriously review your workflow, even the most ardent programmer will prefer to launch as few tools as possible, also the quicklist is a god send for stacking up often access folder (maybe a folder with shortcuts to all your numerous programs you use) into a single item on the taskbar

if you really are a power user who uses a vast library of programs then i suggest you look into segregating each work flow from each other using something like a virtual desktop with different taskbar configuration for the seemingly different task you undertake, it will also prevent your screen getting cluttered (BTW win8 already has native support to allow you to have different taskbar configuration for each monitor)

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Right. You'll still be able to do that with the "Start screen", though. In fact realistically in a lot of cases (especially touchscreen mobile devices) you could drop explorer and just use Metro - put your most common apps up front, and the rest are tucked away but still very easy to get to. It's not for everyone, though, and that's why Win8 has both interfaces.[/citation]
Well Metro UI actually is not for every device. Yes it's great for slates and phones but it's just to cumbersome to use it on common no touch screen desktop. And that's the problem with this campaign, MS and many "experts" are trying to sell idea that it's great for desktops too. Well it just is not.

the world is still not ready for the return of Microsoft BOB :D

user_ace

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Right now I have 0 items on my Taskbar, 3 items on my desktop (including the Recycle Bin), and 8 items on my Windows 7 Start Menu.

I find that it is quicker to launch applications by simply hitting the Windows key and using the up/down arrows on the keyboard, as opposed to clicking on the icon with my mouse.

G

That new feature was the ability to pin programs to the taskbar.

I realise using the Quick Launch toolbar isn't the same as pining a program. But, I don't use the Start and haven't for years. Well, I use it to access Control Panel...

I make short cuts to programs, stick them in Quick Launch, auto hide Task Bar, and have a pretty clean desktop. I don't understand clicking Start>Programs>Office>Excel. I can get more QL icons on the taskbar than in the Start favorite programs. And save a mouse click, too.

I don't think I will miss seeing the current Start menus go. Not sure I want my home computer to interface like my cell phone...

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Great point regarding touchscreens. At home, I have a 2x1 monitor setup and I do not know how I would afford a 3x1 setup using 24-27" touchscreens.

Status
Not open for further replies.