Why We Can't Count Windows Out of the Tablet Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Ummm... who said we could???[/citation]Exactly.
Windows 8 is shaping up to be a killer tablet OS; probably more so than a PC OS.
Having used WP7 for a couple of months now, I can say that a similar OS on a tablet would be a great user experience.

Well written article but strangely felt like a Microsoft marketing pitch. A reason we cant count windows out is that students cant use Microsoft's One Note on a Mac, seriously lost me on that. There is not a single reasonable reason why Windows is better in this article. I personally don't use Macs and think MS will be a huge player in tablets but I just found this article sounding like a Windows 8 sales pitch.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I am hoping that this brings gaming to the next level on tablets. With directx, there is lots of dev experience out there. iPhone and Android are still rinky-dink in this area.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

UGH! Get out of here! Tablet gaming is worse than consoles...

G

No on can beat the Windows market share of 80%. Switching to other OS is not cost effective in business. A lot of things are still tied up with windows. No one can argue with that.

Not hard to figure... its been said for awhile iOS and Android are fun to play with, but when there's real work to be done, its time to whip out Windows (hierarchy follows then Linux then OSX, personal opinions force me to list OSX last). :D

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I like your personal opinion :D But in Apple's case, what I've heard is that now new Mac OS is already becoming more like iOS. Linux on ARM is already there, btw.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]Not hard to figure... its been said for awhile iOS and Android are fun to play with, but when there's real work to be done, its time to whip out Windows (hierarchy follows then Linux then OSX, personal opinions force me to list OSX last).[/citation]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Microsoft has already repeatedly said that Windows 8 for tablets isnt going to run standard Windows software. Welcome to a new OS with no Apps. iOS should be well over 500k apps even if you dont could all the fart Apps.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/231601473

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

iOs is 350K apps, including the fart ones.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]iOs is 350K apps, including the fart ones.[/citation]Think he means over 500 by the time Windows 8 tablets are out.

G

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but Microsoft has already repeatedly said that Windows 8 for tablets isnt going to run standard Windows software. Welcome to a new OS with no Apps. iOS should be well over 500k apps even if you dont could all the fart Apps."

It will if you buy a x86 (like AMD Fusion) based tablet.

G

Wait, so tablets aren't just an Apple fad now?

Laptops are powerful enough to replace desktops now, but there's no indication that tablets will be able to overtake laptops any time in the next 10 years. And giving my cellphone a slightly bigger screen just isn't useful. This is basically for lazy f*cks who don't want to have to sit up on the couch to browse the internet.

G

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but Microsoft has already repeatedly said that Windows 8 for tablets isnt going to run standard Windows software. Welcome to a new OS with no Apps. iOS should be well over 500k apps even if you dont could all the fart Apps."

If you run an x86(64) based tablet you can run ANY current software including 64 bit.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]iOs is 350K apps, including the fart ones.[/citation]

Ok and that took about 2 years... In another year (maybe two) when Windows 8 actually ships how many iOS apps will there be? I think 500k is a VERY conservative estimate. So I stand by my statement. iOS will have 500k Apps the day Win 8 for tablet launches with about 20.

Not saying Windows 8 wont do well, but just pointing out to everyone who thinks that Win 8 for tablets is going to launch and on day one run every bit of code ever written since god knows when for Windows is in for a big surprise.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]buckbundy[/nom]"Sorry to burst your bubble, but Microsoft has already repeatedly said that Windows 8 for tablets isnt going to run standard Windows software. Welcome to a new OS with no Apps. iOS should be well over 500k apps even if you dont could all the fart Apps."If you run an x86(64) based tablet you can run ANY current software including 64 bit.[/citation]

I think you need to go do some research about what Microsoft has been saying about Windows 8 for Tablets, as opposed to and x86 pc that has been mushed into a tablet form factor and running a desktop OS. Two very different animals. The mushed x86 PC in tablet form has been around for several years, and while it does run normal Windows apps, its an exaggeration to say it has been anything other than a niche market product and a general flop.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Only because it wasn't marketed properly. I don't see why people would prefer Android or iOS over a full desktop OS on their pocket. I know I wouldn't! And since the tablets' battery life sucks anyway, might as well throw an Atom in there - just next-gen, more energy-efficient - and be happy.

[citation][nom]applerocks[/nom]Sorry to burst your bubble, but Microsoft has already repeatedly said that Windows 8 for tablets isnt going to run standard Windows software. Welcome to a new OS with no Apps. iOS should be well over 500k apps even if you dont could all the fart Apps.http://www.informationweek.com/new [...] /231601473[/citation]
By that they mean that traditional x86 and x86-64 programs will not run on ARM processors (it is a physical impossibility). However, if you watched any of the BUILD conference you would know that all apps designed for win8 will be cross compile-able to ARM architecture because of how the new developer tools will work. That being said, there will be Office for ARM, as well as all of the Intuit software, and Adobe software will follow eventually. Once you get those 3 productivity houses on ARM then it will make tablets pretty freakin awesome. Granted to do real hard core productivity work you will still need x86-64 just because it is faster and more mature, but you will still be able to shoot wedding pics, and then do a quick preview on your tablet. Or while doing an audit, be able to run quickbooks, or tax software, on your tablet. Or run full PPT on your tablet. All the 'little' things that you can sorta get to work with apps, but will finally run fully featured with win8. Laptops will become extinct long before the PC.

All that said, I'm still going to sit out until win9 ;)

G

As I see this is not such a big market at least not as yet. All I can say is Tick Tock Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.