Question Why won't AMD driver forced Anisotropic Filtering work at all the last few years?

Dec 3, 2023
Why won't AMD driver forced Anisotropic Filtering work at all the last few years? It seems that under the old crimson drivers I could force AF in older games like I have always been able to with Nvidia cards. But it is very clear that AF via AMD driver doesn't work at all. The absolute best example of this is in Operation Flashpoint: Resistance and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion where Nvidia has well defined cobblestones in both while AMD driver version becomes muddy a few meters out. If anyone knows a fix that'd be great; because when it comes to AF in older games I might as well be playing them on my W98SE/XP PCs with my Voodoo 5 5500 or 8800 GTX and get about the same or better ground image quality.

I honestly haven't really used anisotropic filtering as I'm not overly concerned about that minute of a detail.
1) Do the drivers not let you enable the feature at all?
2) Were they accessible in earlier versions of the current gen Adrenaline series drivers or did they only work in the Crimson series?

Dec 3, 2023
I honestly haven't really used anisotropic filtering as I'm not overly concerned about that minute of a detail.
1) Do the drivers not let you enable the feature at all?
2) Were they accessible in earlier versions of the current gen Adrenaline series drivers or did they only work in the Crimson series?
Technically it is "enabled" in the AMD driver control panel; but unlike doing it with the Nvidia control panel; it does nothing for anisotropic filtering in execution. As memory serves it was working back in the old CCC days; but most definitely not in the last few years of these Adrenalin drivers. It's a bit of a bummer because I would like to buy more AMD moving forward due to price, but I really hate muddy ground textures in older games when they can look so incredible if AF is forced.

Technically it is "enabled" in the AMD driver control panel; but unlike doing it with the Nvidia control panel; it does nothing for anisotropic filtering in execution. As memory serves it was working back in the old CCC days; but most definitely not in the last few years of these Adrenalin drivers. It's a bit of a bummer because I would like to buy more AMD moving forward due to price, but I really hate muddy ground textures in older games when they can look so incredible if AF is forced.
You might be able to find a side-by-side comparison online somewhere of said games between using it and not and see if it matches up. It could also be perception. I don't know enough about anisotropic filtering to say for sure.

Reactions: RolandOlifant
Dec 3, 2023
You might be able to find a side-by-side comparison online somewhere of said games between using it and not and see if it matches up. It could also be perception. I don't know enough about anisotropic filtering to say for sure.
Ok, well after years of this I feel like a retard; apparently the issue was that the AMD driver wasn't detecting my current GoG version of Operation Flashpoint; only my uninstalled Steam version. After manually adding the executable for the gog version now focing AF works. Here's the difference:

WITHOUT:
WuZErpX.jpg

WITH 16xAF forced:
pWV5dr7.jpg

The difference is very clear the further out you go with the cobblestones.

I see what you're saying and thanks for the primer on understanding it. Also, glad that you found what was triggering it. I've encountered similar things when it comes to GoG vs Steam *cough* Fallout *cough*