Question Why won't my GPU clock itself higher?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Usually the boost can be all over the place, based on program, game, thermals, etc. What is strange is that your clock is under the the 1850 base clock of that specific cards. Are you maybe in some kind of power saving profile or something?

Last edited:
May 18, 2020
Usually the boost can be all over the place, based on program, game, thermals, etc. What is strand is that your clock is under the the 1850 base clock of that specific cards. Are you maybe in some kind of power saving profile or something?

Not that I know of. I've seen it higher and didn't change anything

PerfCrap says idle which is false because right now my upscaler has that GPU under full load lol
"Idle" is misleading. It just means there's not enough work for the GPU to do to justify clocking higher.

Also processor utilization of any sort means the time the processor spent not running some "idle" task. Since GPUs tend to be seen as a singular unit than a many- core processor, even if the task is pegging a single SM, it counts as "in-use"

May 18, 2020
"Idle" is misleading. It just means there's not enough work for the GPU to do to justify clocking higher.

Also processor utilization of any sort means the time the processor spent not running some "idle" task. Since GPUs tend to be seen as a singular unit than a many- core processor, even if the task is pegging a single SM, it counts as "in-use"

This upscaler will use the GPU to it's full potential, for obvious reasons. I've had it go up to 2GHz many many times. Right now it's stuck on 1635 and I can't figure out why

Last edited: