Question Why wont my new harddrive show in my new system?

Dustin Jacocks

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Hi, I'm having the worse pc installing experience of my life right now. I have a brand new system with a brand new internal wd blue 1tb harddrive. When I go to boot up into windows installation, my pc doesnt recognize the hdd in my system. Even in bios, the pc wont recognize It. I've tried using different sata cables, sata ports and even an external power and sata usb cable to plug into a usb port and still nothing. My system is ryzen 2600x, amd rx 580, asus prime x570 board. 16gb g skill ram. Thermaltake 750 psu gold. I can hook up ssds to it and they will read but not a harddrive. I've even tried the harddrive on other pcs and it also wont come up. I have even bought a brand spanking new harddrive from bestbuy. And still nothing on all 3 of my pcs. I'm so stumped I fant even bare this anymore. Mind you there is no windows installed so I cant get into windows. I'm trying to install it on this hdd.

Dustin Jacocks

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Hi, I'm having the worse pc installing experience of my life right now. I have a brand new system with a brand new internal wd blue 1tb harddrive. When I go to boot up into windows installation, my pc doesnt recognize the hdd in my system. Even in bios, the pc wont recognize It. I've tried using different sata cables, sata ports and even an external power and sata usb cable to plug into a usb port and still nothing. My system is ryzen 2600x, amd rx 580, asus prime x570 board. 16gb g skill ram. Thermaltake 750 psu gold. I can hook up ssds to it and they will read but not a harddrive. I've even tried the harddrive on other pcs and it also wont come up. I have even bought a brand spanking new harddrive from bestbuy. And still nothing on all 3 of my pcs. I'm so stumped I fant even bare this anymore. Mind you there is no windows installed so I cant get into windows. I'm trying to install it on this hdd.
Also I my sata ports ate enabled and switched to ahci

Test the drive in question in another desktop, ensuring both SATA power and data cables are connected. If it does not show connected in a second system either, then it would certainly seem drive is bad (for whatever reason; using a modular cable from an earlier PSU with a new PSU will kill drives instantly, for instance)

Dustin Jacocks

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Test the drive in question in another desktop, ensuring both SATA power and data cables are connected. If it does not show connected in a second system either, then it would certainly seem drive is bad (for whatever reason; using a modular cable from an earlier PSU with a new PSU will kill drives instantly, for instance)
I have two other systems with thermaltake smart power 750 (nonvmodular) that I tested this with. Still nothing. When tested with my modular thermaltake gold psu, all the cables used came with that psu. I did no switcheroos. I just cant believe I this is happening with two harddrive though. Just doesnt make any sense at all.