[SOLVED] Why would you buy 6800XT(over RTX3080)?

Solution
If you want RTX, go with the 3080.
If you want slighly better performance and don't care about RTX, or you have an AMD processor that can use the smart access memory and want the performance boost from that, choose the 6800XT.

I have a 3700X and purchased the 3080Fe. I wanted the better RTX performance over the better non rtx performance.

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I don't understand why anyone would spend top $$$ and buy 6800XT when you can get RTX3080 for around the same price? cos it's got Rage mode???
(if you can find the stock oc.. but average price of AIB 6800XT is actually bit higher than AIB RTX3080 where I live)
R3IwKeb.gif

A2WZuGW.jpg

It's your money so totally upto you.. but personally I wouldn't touch 6800XT with a 6 foot pole.. honestly I rather have RTX2080Ti over it any day.
If you didn't know already 6800XT's got extremely poor Ray Tracing performance.. even slower than RTX2060..
uTLrtci.jpg

q6yIktz.jpg

Not to mention AMD always have very crappy unstable driver support.
ZCHMKye.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! You can't get either the RX 6800 XT or the RTX 3080 for less than the price of a kidney nowadays.

Yeah, I really didn't like the inclusion of Rage Mode in their GPU announcement. Adding an 'automatic overclock' and comparing the results to the default clocks of the competition is just bad form in my book. Especially when results appear to be on a case-by-case basis depending on the slight manufacturing and thermal differences of each card.

AMD definitely has their work cut out for them concerning ray tracing. Not all newer titles support ray tracing but it looks like AAA titles are moving in that direction.

Your driver argument is completely false. AMD drivers are just as stable as NVIDIA drivers. This tripe has been peddled for far too long.

Reactions: Gintama69

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
AMD definitely has their work cut out for them concerning ray tracing. Not all newer titles support ray tracing but it looks like AAA titles are moving in that direction.
Yer.. I wonder if 6800XT buyers will finally regret once Cyberpunk 2077 gets released.. lol

Yeah, I really didn't like the inclusion of Rage Mode in their GPU announcement. Adding an 'automatic overclock' and comparing the results to the default clocks of the competition is just bad form in my book. Especially when results appear to be on a case-by-case basis depending on the slight manufacturing and thermal differences of each card.
ikr.. technically it's even auto overclock, it just increased the power limit(not even to max) so your card boost slightly higher.. but pretty much useless. (and you can also do that on any NVidia card using MSI Afterburner etc, takes only 2 secs.. just one click)
aogWhHF.jpg

tenor.gif

But I guess AMD didn't really have anything to brag about their new product so they just made up some total bs.. well they certainly couldn't brag about it's ray tracing performance... kek

Your driver argument is completely false. AMD drivers are just as stable as NVIDIA drivers. This tripe has been peddled for far too long.
Well AMD certainly have the reputation for having unstable drivers and it was also the case with their previous 5700XT, so...

Reactions: alceryes

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
For the record, Nvidia cards also auto-overclock past their boost rate, something called GPU Boost 3.0. So, I don't understand why people have a problem with AMD's Rage Mode.

As for the original question, the 6800XT outperforms the 3080, that's why people would buy it. If all you care about is Ray Tracing, then that's a completely different story.

But, seeing as you already have a 3090, why are you asking the question? Are you just trolling? You are posting a question, then answering it, making false claims about drivers, and stating a preference for a card that would be inferior to both the 3080 and the 6800XT.

Reactions: Mtop
ikr.. technically it's even auto overclock, it just increased the power limit(not even to max) so your card boost slightly higher.. but pretty much useless. (and you can also do that on any NVidia card using MSI Afterburner etc, takes only 2 secs.. just one click)

True, it raises the power ceiling, effectively allowing slightly higher clocks sometimes. They still should've left this as just a little bonus to tweakers instead of touting it in order to beat the RTX 3080 in some titles.

Staticisgood

Honorable
Oct 27, 2014
If you want RTX, go with the 3080.
If you want slighly better performance and don't care about RTX, or you have an AMD processor that can use the smart access memory and want the performance boost from that, choose the 6800XT.

I have a 3700X and purchased the 3080Fe. I wanted the better RTX performance over the better non rtx performance.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS