Why You Should Make Venmo Payments Private

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godloki

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I feel like the majority of the comments ever left on there are inside jokes. I don't know how seriously people take the commenting...

If Starbucks ever figured out that I went to Starbucks at least once a week they could ... send me more coupons?

Also it is highly doubtful that the actual items being bought would be listed.

"VenezuelanCarGod1965 sold 10 kilograms of "white powdery" to John Smith, 123 Legal Lane Alabama

or

VenezuelanCarGod1965 recruited John Smith, 123 Legal Lane Alabama for aerial drug smuggling operations in Columbia"

^ Would be hilarious though.

G

It takes an extra step to retroactively apply the privacy setting.
First change your current privacy setting, then go to Past Transactions (in the settings/privacy section) and do it again.

USAFRet

Titan

Not merely the default, but that is the whole reason behind Venmo.
Buy stuff, transfer money and brag about it.

Yes, some people are that foolish.

Kenneth Hans

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
After a year of using Venmo to transfer money back and forth with my daughter, I was banned from the app. The only info I was given was I had conducted 'unauthorized activity'. Seriously, our transactions were simple and transparent and the same every time. They would not communicate with me any further to resolve this. Oh well, Apply Pay to save the day.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Maybe because social media has taught young people to share everything.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Facebook's problem is convincing advertisers that the information they gather truly reflects the purchasing habits of its users. Venmo is actually showing transactions, places and times you have actually purchased something. Link that with a Facebook ID, and you have an incredible insight into a potential customer.

Imagine showing an ad for a product on a persons Facebook page, and seeing that 30 minutes later they make a related purchase. That's feedback few advertisers get for real-world purchases.

Oh, and anyone thinking Venmo's features are for the users is probably not fully understanding how today's internet works. If the service is free, someone is making money off the information you give them.

alan_rave

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Good luck, Mozilla. Venmo has at least to offer an option - sell your data and get % from $ that Venmo receives from advertisers)

Status
Not open for further replies.