News Wi-Fi 7 to get the final seal of approval early next year, new standard is up to 4.8 times faster than Wi-Fi 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
So wi-fi-6 gonna be like 5g & get blocked by a piece of paper or your hand?
From a penetration point of view, wifi7 isn't going to be any worse than previous generations as it can still make use of the 2.4GHz band. Even 5 and 6GHz bands aren't awful compared to 5G range 2 (24-52GHz) and wigig (60GHz) which pretty much require line of sight or close to it.

Reactions: scottslayer

SCP2000

Great
Dec 8, 2023
Isn't latency still a major deterrent for gamers? Or has the sentiment changed over the years? There's no logical reason for any desktop user who is serious about competitive gaming to use anything other than a hardwired connection. Maybe I'm in the minority here?

Reactions: Order 66

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Isn't latency still a major deterrent for gamers? Or has the sentiment changed over the years? There's no logical reason for any desktop user who is serious about competitive gaming to use anything other than a hardwired connection. Maybe I'm in the minority here?
The speed and latency improvements most obviously benefit wireless VR between a system and headset. For the PC gamer, if you're using a desktop on a desk, I don't see why you wouldn't use Ethernet for Internet connectivity. Even if this offers higher peak speeds, you will likely never see them.

It sounds like it can use bands simultaneously and switch between them seamlessly. It will be much more reliable if implemented properly. Especially for things that move around a house like phones and laptops.

Reactions: SCP2000

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
There are a lot of 'draft' Wi-Fi 7 devices around, but 'Wi-Fi 7 Certified' devices will only come to market sometime next year.

Wi-Fi 7 to get the final seal of approval early next year, new standard is up to 4.8 times faster than Wi-Fi 6 : Read more
Thought 7 was due in 2024. I still prefer Ethernet for security and constant speeds. Wifi is a just in case. Smartphones? Don't care for them, meh. So you will have to upgrade yet once again to get the latest communications upgrade that I only use when I have to? Not bloody likely.

Dementoss

Great
Oct 14, 2023
I live in rural England, it would be nice to able to have an internet connection fast enough, to make it worthwhile investing in WiFi 6. So, WiFi 7? Meh, whatever...

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
You are right, however, in my case, it is impractical for me to use ethernet as my router is across the room from my PC, so the lower the latency of WIFI the better. Even though for 99% of people, this means zero as WIFI 5 is still fast enough for the vast majority of people.

You are right, however, in my case, it is impractical for me to use ethernet as my router is across the room from my PC, so the lower the latency of WIFI the better. Even though for 99% of people, this means zero as WIFI 5 is still fast enough for the vast majority of people.
Get a long cable and either run it along the wall or through the walls. You can even buy the cable and terminate them yourself with a crimping tool to make the cable exactly the length that you need and in whatever kind of cable you want.

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
I wouldn't expect latency to be a concern any more. The overhead of wifi has dropped dramatically, and wifi holds a speed of light advantage over wired connections. I just tested and direct connection (computer directly plugged into router with an 0.5m cable) is a whopping 1ms lower ping unloaded and 9ms lower with the connection fully saturated. And that's on wifi 6, not even 6e or 7. I would guess that this means it's pretty much a draw, depending on whether you have to add an extra hop for your wired connection (e.g. do you have an extra switch if you connect that way, which would make the outcome worse for wired).

I wouldn't expect latency to be a concern any more. The overhead of wifi has dropped dramatically, and wifi holds a speed of light advantage over wired connections. I just tested and direct connection (computer directly plugged into router with an 0.5m cable) is a whopping 1ms lower ping unloaded and 9ms lower with the connection fully saturated. And that's on wifi 6, not even 6e or 7. I would guess that this means it's pretty much a draw, depending on whether you have to add an extra hop for your wired connection (e.g. do you have an extra switch if you connect that way, which would make the outcome worse for wired).
There is little if not zero "advantage" as you say wifi has over a wired connection. He is a couple videos that goes into the nature of electricity and how it works on a much deeper level. This one here and then here in that order.

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019
I would never EVER buy another draft router. I remember back around 2001 when there was a Stinksys (Linksys) that offered a draft wifi standard. They ended up never issuing a proper update and the router was quite limited. So much so that they gave me a new router after complaining for what felt like a year.

USAFRet

Titan
In the same room?
Are you daft??

You do realize, the ethernet cable can run along the walls, from PC to router.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
In the same room?
Are you daft??

You do realize, the ethernet cable can run along the walls, from PC to router.
I am aware, but the router is in one corner of the room and the PC is in the other, not to mention that if I were to run it along the floor, it wouldn't really work as it would be in front of the stairs, and could potentially be a tripping hazard. I also don't feel like putting holes in the walls, as I don't think the parents would be too happy with that...

I am aware, but the router is in one corner of the room and the PC is in the other, not to mention that if I were to run it along the floor, it wouldn't really work as it would be in front of the stairs, and could potentially be a tripping hazard. I also don't feel like putting holes in the walls, as I don't think the parents would be too happy with that...
That flat cable I linked can be affixed to the corners and along the edges of the ceiling as well. Somehow, some way, you can get a cable from the WAP to the PC without it looking ugly or being expensive. You can get a 100ft long ethernet cable easily, in the link, so it certainly isn't a distance thing...

USAFRet

Titan
Get a long cable and either run it along the wall or through the walls. You can even buy the cable and terminate them yourself with a crimping tool to make the cable exactly the length that you need and in whatever kind of cable you want.
Actually, no.
That flat cable does NOT meet standards. The wires inside are too thin.
Plus, that Cat 8 Cat 7 nomenclature is totally irrelevant.

Actually, no.
That flat cable does NOT meet standards. The wires inside are too thin.
Plus, that Cat 8 Cat 7 nomenclature is totally irrelevant.
What standards do you want it to meet? The thickness is 30 AWG, if thats what you are talking about and since its not 26 AWG it does not meet the CAT 5e standard. That does not really matter until 50 or 100 feet. Cat 5,6,7, and soon to be 8 are all standards. This cable probably not a "certified" cat6/7/8 cable, but that is irrelevant to getting a connection from point A to point B inside a room as small as his.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
What standards do you want it to meet? The thickness is 30 AWG, if thats what you are talking about and since its not 26 AWG it does not meet the CAT 5e standard. That does not really matter past like 50 or 100 feet. Cat 5,6,7, and soon to be 8 are all standards. This cable probably not a "certified" cat6/7/8 cable, but that is irrelevant to getting a connection from point A to point B inside a room.
Certification states 22-24 AWG.
Not 30.

There is no reason to buy substandard cable.

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Reactions: helper800

Broly MAXIMUMER

Reputable
May 13, 2020
Latency hasn't been an issue for ages.

It's an ancient sentiment echoed by folk who think the tech hasn't progressed in ages (or overlook how Environmental variables are a real consideration)

The thought of "a desktop = desk = automatically plugged in" also tends to be extremely narrow.

There's a reason why most motherboards come with built-in wi-fi now. Not everyone is sitting their machine right their with the router and such, nor able to run ethernet cables through their walls.

SCP2000

Great
Dec 8, 2023
Latency hasn't been an issue for ages.

It's an ancient sentiment echoed by folk who think the tech hasn't progressed in ages (or overlook how Environmental variables are a real consideration)

The thought of "a desktop = desk = automatically plugged in" also tends to be extremely narrow.

There's a reason why most motherboards come with built-in wi-fi now. Not everyone is sitting their machine right their with the router and such, nor able to run ethernet cables through their walls.

That is difficult for me to believe, and while I agree that not everyone wants to run wires along walls, under carpet, etc., as someone who lives in an already congested wifi zone and enjoys the added security, hardwired is superior by all metrics.

It wouldn't be the first time motherboard manufacturers added features, most of which are completely unnecessary, to justify their already ludicrously inflated prices.

I have been using this cable for years now with no issues. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HRL9CDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Broly MAXIMUMER

Reputable
May 13, 2020
That is difficult for me to believe, and while I agree that not everyone wants to run wires along walls, under carpet, etc., as someone who lives in an already congested wifi zone and enjoys the added security, hardwired is superior by all metrics.

It wouldn't be the first time motherboard manufacturers added features, most of which are completely unnecessary, to justify their already ludicrously inflated prices.

I have been using this cable for years now with no issues. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HRL9CDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Congestion... i.e. environmental variables.

Changing them channels would do wonders there. Tips from IT btw.

I'm sure a cable has been serving you well. Those don't usually get swapped often. But discounting wifi's legitimacy literally based on internal beliefs is honesty just knocking it just because.

At best, MAYBE there's something noticeable even with line-of-sight for folk who play nothing but competitive twitch sooters, and even then, that's pandering for the sake of it.

All of which puts wiring at about 70% SOL, which is exactly what I thought when I posted. However, it's true that over these distances, it isn't what is going to matter.
In the scenario of the first video I linked; No, electricity takes power 1/c in seconds to get to the bulb through 1 light-second of wire. This means that "electricity" goes from the source of power to whatever its powering in 99.999999999954416684% the speed of light. Watch the first video I sent... The speed of the charge going through a cable depends upon the cable. With a perfect cable the speed is as above, with a really crappy cable the speed can be as low as about half the speed of light. Most cables will fall between 60% and 80% the speed of light. So the answer "70%" is not correct because its a huge range with many variables. If we are talking about the speed of no hindrance its damn near the same speed of light. That is to say there is little if not zero "advantage" wifi would have because its waves propagate through the air to transmit information, and this comes with its own multitudes of issues.

Heavily edited the first claim I made in context with the first video I linked for clarity.

Last edited:

SCP2000

Great
Dec 8, 2023
Congestion... i.e. environmental variables.

Changing them channels would do wonders there. Tips from IT btw.

I'm sure a cable has been serving you well. Those don't usually get swapped often. But discounting wifi's legitimacy literally based on internal beliefs is honesty just knocking it just because.

At best, MAYBE there's something noticeable even with line-of-sight for folk who play nothing but competitive twitch sooters, and even then, that's pandering for the sake of it.
Golly gee, I never would have thought of that! :ROFLMAO:

I would take the L and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.