Wi-Fi Direct Coming, Could Wipe Out Bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
this would be nice and sounds exactly like what intel is already planning with their upcoming wi-fi stuff for the calpella platform

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Jesus, think POSITIVE people! Not DEMONIC! Wait, most of you are Atheist's, who am I kidding. That means be criminals! Right?[/citation]

... What the?

Meh. I don't use Bluetooth anyway, haven't found a use for it yet.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
It's good to see technologies unified, Wi-Fi Direct, Open Physics in new-gen graphics, Intel Light-Peak.
Bluetooth is useful, but one technology for all purposes is good.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Topic is >here< you --------------------> X
If you are lost on the Internets please head to google.com to orientate yourself again. Have a nice day.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
It should kill off Bluetooth (even though I like Bluetooth as is except for high royalty causing devices to be expensive) because creating Wi-Fi devices should be cheaper.

Also, hopefully it'll use the 5 GHz spectrum as the 2.4 GHz spectrum is way too crowded.

astromud

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
My first thought is how will this affect battery life in portable devices? My experience has been that batteries drain like there is no tomorrow when wifi is enabled.... Bluetooth not so much.

G

No need to wait 2010, www.goomeo.com a mobile social network, use the same technology : file, contact, mp3 sharing between wifi mobile.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]koom[/nom]No need to wait 2010, www.goomeo.com a mobile social network, use the same technology : file, contact, mp3 sharing between wifi mobile.[/citation]
www.goomeo.com is already next on the chopping block for the RIAA.

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not against wifi-direct but I do have one concern about it. With that more many devices using wifi such as keyboards, mouse etc, won't there be to many signals in an area? Causing a slow down in data transfers?

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Jesus, think POSITIVE people! Not DEMONIC! Wait, most of you are Atheist's, who am I kidding. That means be criminals! Right?[/citation]

This seems sort of off topic bud. Last time I checked though, religion had nothing to do with people doing evil things. Nutjobs come in all flavors and nothing inhibits immorality aside from choices the person makes.

\back on topic\

Any-way, I'd like to see the white papers in the near future and a chance to look over the preliminary testing.

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Does this mean it would be possible for me to roam a 35,000sqft office with a wifi "headset" and still be able to get my phone calls? This would be AWSOME!My bluetooth headset has a very limited range and the entire office is "wired" for wifi.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
WiFi will never take BT's place unless this new specification uses less or equal amount of energy than BT. We already have issues keeping our BT devices alive longer periods, so energy efficiency should be concern nr 1.

My opinion anyway.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
sh*t, just bought a bluetooth usb device. is that the WiFi-draft-kb (kill bluetooth) specification? I'm still waiting for USB 3.0 It's supposed to be super fast, except for the implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.