Question Wi-Fi drop internet and showing wrong ip

kevrick25

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
I have a Linksys ea6350 router setup for our wireless thats been giving issues recently.

Before starting, heres how our home network is setup:

Fibre comes in and goes to a modem(with wifi) and distributes IPTV to devvices. The linksys router was setup in bridge mode connecting eitherthnet between the modem and one of the IPTV boxes, and set to broadcast 2.4 and 5GHz wireless...

Recently the 2.4GHz side of the wireless has been dropping internet so while devices remain connected, they claim there is no internet and i have noticed this mostly happens with mobile devices (phones, tablets) rather than our laptops. (this is purely wireless issue, ethernet remains unbothered)

i attempted to change the linksys router from bridged to DHCP with its own DHCP handling but yet the same issue occurs. While playing with configuration i noticed something else... The local ip, while using the 2.4GHZ reports and something completely different when the internet connection is dropped as shown in the two images below

nZSLhh1.png

ZAbdXnm.png

This issue happens both when the router is in bridge or AP mode and seems to only ever happen on the 2.4ghz since i can use 5GHz fine on capable devices, and it doesnt take much for the internet to stop respoding, as easy as walking from one room to another even with strong wireless signal.

Could this be a simple fix? or is it the router going bad and possibly needs to replace?

Ralston18

Titan
Two Default Gateway IPs being used: 10.0.0.1 and 192.168.43.1

Most Linksys routers use 192.168.1.1

What make and model modem?

Why was the router placed into bridge mode? Should not be necessary but I will caveat that with the acknowledgment that I may not fully understand the bigger picture.

My understanding of the connectivity being used (edit/correct as necessary).

ISP --- fibre ---> modem ---- ethernet cable ---> [WAN] Linksys ea6350[LAN] --- Ethernet ---> wired devices

and

~~~~ wireless~~~> wireless devices.

My thought is that the modem' s DHCP should be disabled and all devices using should use the Linksys router to obtain DHCP IP addresses or a static IP address if that is the requirement.

Are you able to get the IP addresses being used by the TV's and other network devices. Both wired and wireless?

kevrick25

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Two Default Gateway IPs being used: 10.0.0.1 and 192.168.43.1

Most Linksys routers use 192.168.1.1

What make and model modem?

Why was the router placed into bridge mode? Should not be necessary but I will caveat that with the acknowledgment that I may not fully understand the bigger picture.

My understanding of the connectivity being used (edit/correct as necessary).

ISP --- fibre ---> modem ---- ethernet cable ---> [WAN] Linksys ea6350[LAN] --- Ethernet ---> wired devices

and

~~~~ wireless~~~> wireless devices.

My thought is that the modem' s DHCP should be disabled and all devices using should use the Linksys router to obtain DHCP IP addresses or a static IP address if that is the requirement.

Are you able to get the IP addresses being used by the TV's and other network devices. Both wired and wireless?

The router was in bridged because otherwise the IPTV boxes won't work, it's a Linksys ea6530 v1. Ethernet ran from the modem, to the Linksys (wan), then out the Linksys to the IPTV box. To use the Linksys with its own dhcp I would need a switch.

Your idea of the connectivity is correct.

The modem uses dhcp, I believe the IPTV has to communicate with it. So anything that connected to the Linksys in bridged mode got ip from the modem.

The 43.1 IP is not part of your network at all, it's either 100.1 or 10.0.0.1(if Linksys is in AP mode)

kevrick25

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
What make and model are the IPTV boxes?

Are they using wired or wireless connectivity? Appears to be wired.

Edit or otherwise expand on my diagram. Show each device, its' Default Gateway, IP address, and subnet mask.

heres a basic image of the iptv setup
0hkAeaf.png

connected via ethernet
gateway 192.168.100.1
ip 192.168.100.3-6
subnet 255.255.255.0

Modem is the one and only DHCP server

It looks like you have 2 DHCP servers on the network, IPTV normally requires being on a different VLAN, are you sure your modem isnt actually a router.?

No, currently there is only one DHCP and its handled by the modem. As i said, the IPTVs will only work if they are on that LAN, hence why the linksys was set to bridge mode. Yes the modem is also a router, it offers its own wireless capabilities. Why we have (or want to use) another is that the modem is upstairs and we have concrete walls, the Wifi barely reaches anywhere else in the house.

Ralston18

Titan
I am missing something:

You are showing a Cat 5 cable from modem to the Linksys Router (with wifi) and then another cable to TV Box D.

So what is the reason for the Linksys router? I would expect to provide wireless service to wireless devices in that area.

However, looking at the Linksys Router's bridging configuration it appears that there may be a typo.

https://www.linksys.com/ph/support-article?articleNum=143751

Note that the address is 192.168.1.43

Your configuration (Reference Post # 1) shows a 192.168.43.1.

What IP addresses are being used by the TV boxes - Still not sure about those 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.121 IP addresses appearing in Post #1

kevrick25

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
I am missing something:

You are showing a Cat 5 cable from modem to the Linksys Router (with wifi) and then another cable to TV Box D.

So what is the reason for the Linksys router? I would expect to provide wireless service to wireless devices in that area.

However, looking at the Linksys Router's bridging configuration it appears that there may be a typo.

https://www.linksys.com/ph/support-article?articleNum=143751

Note that the address is 192.168.1.43

Your configuration (Reference Post # 1) shows a 192.168.43.1.

What IP addresses are being used by the TV boxes - Still not sure about those 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.121 IP addresses appearing in Post #1

yes, that is correct, the reason for the linksys router is for wifi downstairs as the upstairs one cannot reach.

the bridging config on the router is setup as such

router ip: 192.168.100.60
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.100.1
dns 192.168.100.1

this is all correct.

you may think theres a typo since the 43 is coincidental but theres not.
the router instead, when there is no actual internet, shows the ip

and gateway 192.168.43.1 on my laptop.... these do not, and should not exist on my network yet its giving me this.... why? i dont know.

i do apologise is the first two images were confusing, the 10.0.0.1 subnet is when i had the router as an access point and handling its own DHCP in which it still gave the connection issues.

Ralston18

Titan
Modem is 192.168.100.1 (255.255.255.0) Correct?

TV box IP addresses? Are they set up as DHCP or static?

Reading/looking back it appears that the TV boxes are the 192.168.100.x IPs with x being 3, 4, 5, and 6.

If the router is to be static 192.168.100.60 be sure that that IP address is outside of the available DHCP IP address range and reserved for the router via the router's MAC.

On the modem what is established as the DHCP IP address range?

And remember that you have those other wireless devices (phones and tablets). But the laptops also get IP addresses.

If you change the laptop's gateway to 192.168.100.1 and set it to DHCP does the laptop rejoin the network?

Continue with your sketch but add in the wireless devices and make note of their IP addresses - especially if static.

kevrick25

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
yes modem is 192.168.100.1 (255.255.255.0)

you are correct about the TV boxes, i am not sure if they are DHCP or static though.

the IP range on the modem is 253.

if i changed the ip of the laptop and put in the correct values it still didnt regain internet.

Did a complete network reset and overhaul and things seem to be working fine so far...

ignoring the IPTV for now, i have the router as an AP and it is handling its own DHCP clients. Ive changed the SSID and password and discovered something quite disturbingly odd...

wn2j4aO.png

Underlined in blue is our old SSID.. Caribbean...
Circled in Red is our actual SSIDs, Digicel and Rickmans. None of the 2 wireless devices in our house is set to broadcast caribbean, and it still shows when both routers are unplugged... i have confirmed that there is no other router/booster setup without my knowledge. and before anyone asks, can i connect to it... sometimes, yes, with the old password we used but you get no internet and othertimes it doesnt at all.