[SOLVED] WI-FI speed slows down after a couple of minutes

Jan 6, 2019
Hi! I have a strange problem with my new computer that i cannot get my head around.

Got a Asus Rog strix b450-E motherboard with intel AC-9260 m.2 wifi card attached to motherboard.

Got 100mbps internet connection and i am connected to 5ghz band of my asus router.

When i connect to the wifi and do speed test i get 90 Mbp/s +- 5 and 9.7 upload speed. ping around 7ms. After a couple of minutes web browsing the speed get limited to around 22 mbp/s down and still full upload speed.

If i just disconnect and reconnect to the same wifi immediately after i get full speed again around 90 mbp/s for a while before it drops down to around 22.

Thank you for your help.

Solution
Ahh ... some good information there ... so, that adapter should have 2 antennas attached to it (back of the case, I assume). This is nice because it allows for 2 continuous streams of data (assuming your access point/router is also supports MIMO). It might be that one of the antenna connectors is loose. They are super small and delicate, so be very careful, but if you were shake the antenna wires gently and one was to fall off, then you have found a problem.

As far as settings ... it's kind of hit and miss, but network adapters have lots of settings and not all are compatible with what they are connecting to. I have one WiFi device (actually an Intel one) that goes slow if I have it set to 802.11/ac, but works great with 802.11/n...
WiFi speed is a negotiated rate between the WiFi adapter and the access point (router). It will start off as fast as possible, but if data starts being corrupted the speed will slow. The negotiation is pretty aggressive on slowing the rate and far less aggressive on increasing it again. The data corruption occurs when you have interference. So, it sounds like you have something in or near your home that is causing intermittent interference and that is slowing your connection.

Are there other things that might be going on? Of course, but that is the most likely. Do you have have other WiFi devices ... do you see the same behavior with them? If so, then it is more likely that that is the cause ... if not, then we might need to look at other issues like a loose antenna or something.

Jan 6, 2019

Thank you for your answer. But this affects only this device. There are many wifi networks in my apartment and I have 8 devices connected to my router. If I use a wifi usb stick on the same computer it works just fine. Dont know if its a setting anywhere that lowers the speed after a while. Still have the same ping. Just the download speed that lowers.

Best regards Erik

Ahh ... some good information there ... so, that adapter should have 2 antennas attached to it (back of the case, I assume). This is nice because it allows for 2 continuous streams of data (assuming your access point/router is also supports MIMO). It might be that one of the antenna connectors is loose. They are super small and delicate, so be very careful, but if you were shake the antenna wires gently and one was to fall off, then you have found a problem.

As far as settings ... it's kind of hit and miss, but network adapters have lots of settings and not all are compatible with what they are connecting to. I have one WiFi device (actually an Intel one) that goes slow if I have it set to 802.11/ac, but works great with 802.11/n (this actually makes sense since my AP only does n and not ac) ... you can find these setting through the device manager if you pull up properties.

Solution