Wich GTX 1070 to choose?

Nicolokoo

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
I'm planning to upgrade my Graphics Card to a GTX 1070 very soon (I currently use a AMD R9 270x).

The main question is: Wich one? Wich manufacturer?
After doing some research the Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 O8G Gaming and the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G seemed to be the best choices around but what about the Hawk X from MSI? It's clock speed is fairly slower (1771 x 1860) but what about it's Overclocking potential? Worth it?

I am also considering the price (Hawk X costs U$ 50,00 more) and since I'm in Brazil this is something to be considered.
I actually use a i5 4690k, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, OCZ ZT Series 650W PSU and a 1080p display wich is kinda an overkill for the GPU but very soon I'll be upgrading my monitor as well (to a 1440p).

Sorry for my awful english.
Any kind of advices are welcome! Thanks!

Solution
Cheers from Brazil, amigo!

Well, in overall all third-parties GPUs performs exactly the same, difference in FPS between them is not really noticeable, maybe 2 or 3 at most. That's because the boost overclock will make all of them reach max clock.

But between those two, it deppend on your budget, both are great GPUs and you won't regret any of them, but if you're short on money, i'd get the cheapest. I have a GTX 1060 from MSI and i don't have a single thing to complain about it, being running all of my games on Ultra without issues.

Note, as stated above, get a better PSU. Stay away from Corsair CX series. ( That's whats sells the most here, but search a little deeper to find better quality ones). While with that PSU, i...
I recommend the ROG STRIX model. Its factory overclock is impressive, and the custom PCB by Asus with enhanced power delivery systems means that it may boost above its advertised boost clock without any manual overclocking.

I would recommend getting a higher quality power supply. Something like the Corsair RM650x or the Seasonic M12ii 620w Bronze. Both are high quality units, but the RM650x comes with a ten year warranty.

manddy123

Admirable
Cheers from Brazil, amigo!

Well, in overall all third-parties GPUs performs exactly the same, difference in FPS between them is not really noticeable, maybe 2 or 3 at most. That's because the boost overclock will make all of them reach max clock.

But between those two, it deppend on your budget, both are great GPUs and you won't regret any of them, but if you're short on money, i'd get the cheapest. I have a GTX 1060 from MSI and i don't have a single thing to complain about it, being running all of my games on Ultra without issues.

Note, as stated above, get a better PSU. Stay away from Corsair CX series. ( That's whats sells the most here, but search a little deeper to find better quality ones). While with that PSU, i wouldn't try to overclock the 1070, when you get something better, you're free to go!

Solution

Nicolokoo

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
Well! Thanks both of you (specially to youz amigo!) in such quick responses!

I need to get a new Power Supply and then the GPU or can I upgrade the GPU and keep using my OCZ 650W for a while and then upgrade it? With no overclocks and stuff of course.

And since there is no BIG differences between all of them, I probably would go the cheaper ones (between those three that I've mentioned).

Thanks everyone! ; )

manddy123

Admirable

You can upgrade your GPU and later on your PSU without worries. Just don't try to do some overclocking right now.
I bet you'll be amazed by the power of the 1070 that you won't even want to do OC haha,

Peace, friend :)