Widescreen monitor in place of 2 conventional?

jeff

I'm curious, in the world of NLE editing, can a 27" WIDESCREEN monitor take
the place of TWO conventional 17 inch monitors when editing?

Jeff

TJM

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003

> I'm curious, in the world of NLE editing, can a 27" WIDESCREEN monitor take
> the place of TWO conventional 17 inch monitors when editing?

A graphics-artist buddy of mine just got the gigantic Apple 30" Cinema Display
and it looks like it easily covers the same screen real estate of (2) 17"
monitors......simply breathtaking.

AnthonyR

"TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote in message
>> I'm curious, in the world of NLE editing, can a 27" WIDESCREEN monitor
>> take
>> the place of TWO conventional 17 inch monitors when editing?
>
> A graphics-artist buddy of mine just got the gigantic Apple 30" Cinema
> Display
> and it looks like it easily covers the same screen real estate of (2) 17"
> monitors......simply breathtaking.

It probably does, I got a 19" LCD and feel I have more screen real estate as
my two old 17" crt monitors which only had 16 '' viewable at best each. At
1280 by 1024, I feel it's plenty especially with a conventional CRT Monitor
near by to view the final video on.
There is no set standard you need to edit video, it is more what you can be
comfortable with and what you have to work with. If you can afford a giant
27" widescreen go for it, and if it's able to handle computer resolutions
you wouldn't need to put it further back, it's not like a regular tv that
can't be viewed up close.

TJM, Just out of curiosity, what resolution does your friend with the 30"
Apple Display use?

Thanks,
AnthonyR

"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in

> "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote in message
>>> I'm curious, in the world of NLE editing, can a 27" WIDESCREEN
>>> monitor take
>>> the place of TWO conventional 17 inch monitors when editing?
>>
>> A graphics-artist buddy of mine just got the gigantic Apple 30"
>> Cinema Display
>> and it looks like it easily covers the same screen real estate of
>> (2) 17" monitors......simply breathtaking.
>>

> It probably does, I got a 19" LCD and feel I have more screen real
> estate as my two old 17" crt monitors which only had 16 ''
> viewable at best each. At 1280 by 1024, I feel it's plenty
> especially with a conventional CRT Monitor near by to view the
> final video on. There is no set standard you need to edit video,
> it is more what you can be comfortable with and what you have to
> work with. If you can afford a giant 27" widescreen go for it, and
> if it's able to handle computer resolutions you wouldn't need to
> put it further back, it's not like a regular tv that can't be
> viewed up close.

The real determiner is the dot pitch (or whatever they call it in
the world of LCDs - pixel pitch or whatever).

As long as the screen is far enough away that you aren't distracted
by seeing individual pixels, you (the generic viewer) should be
fine.

And typically, AFAIK, most LCDs run around 92 pixels/inch, so they
should all be viewable at roughly the same distance.

For me that's about 20"/50cm, and I don't even have to wear my
glasses! (I'm a bit myopic and quite presbyopic.)

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com