Wierd noise after overclock

408xtx

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Hi everyone, my english is not so good so i'll try to explain myself in the best way i can. I tried to overclock my cpu (FX-6300) to 4.0Ghz after reading a guide, and it worked without any problem. A day after that i tried to change it to 4.3Ghz expecting to leave it at that speed, i changed the vcore (gradually) to 1.375v after checking how the cpu failed the stress test, and after that the cpu managed to finish the stress test but it started to make a weird and constant noise. I wasn't sure what component was causing the noise (and to be honest i'm not sure yet) but considering i was messing with the voltage i changed both the memory and the vcore to their previous settings (4.0Ghz, 1.35v).

It solved the problem...partially.

Now when the computer is idle or browsing it doesn't make any wierd noise, but when i try to play a game (specially CS:GO) it starts to make that annoying sound again, and i don't know if is placebo but i'm pretty sure i smell something too.

I'm going to leave a video here so you can hear what i'm talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7liL5daG_Y&feature=youtu.be

You can hear the sound at the 0:07 mark. the noise sounds like something is vibrating, but i can't identify if is a screw, or the noise comes from the fan, or psu or something else. I guess is the psu but i don't want to change it considering that it could be from something else, so, what should i do?

Specs:
Motherboard gigabyte 970a-d3p
AMD FX 6300 4.02 Ghz
Geforce gtx 950
Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) Ddr3 1600mhz
Xfx 550w Ts Full Wired 80 Plus Bronze

(all bought two and a half years ago)

Thanks in advance

Solution
1| Take notice if the HDD activity LED corresponds with the noise, if so then the HDD is on it's way out.
2| Take notice of any cables being in the path of the fans, seeing from the video a lot of the cables are strewn in your airflow path so tidying them can show some improvement.
3| You may find it worth while to breadboard your system and see if the noise presents itself, this will help you locate the noise source much easier than what you're getting by with.

If you smell something that is akin to burning/melting plastic then there is something on fire. It's best to power down, strip the system and inspect every component properly for burn marks.

Lutfij

Titan
1| Take notice if the HDD activity LED corresponds with the noise, if so then the HDD is on it's way out.
2| Take notice of any cables being in the path of the fans, seeing from the video a lot of the cables are strewn in your airflow path so tidying them can show some improvement.
3| You may find it worth while to breadboard your system and see if the noise presents itself, this will help you locate the noise source much easier than what you're getting by with.

If you smell something that is akin to burning/melting plastic then there is something on fire. It's best to power down, strip the system and inspect every component properly for burn marks.

Solution