Question Wierd stuff going on with network ?

Feb 26, 2024
yo,
I hope ya having a good day.

recently i hav started experiencing weird network problems. earlier I use to go up to 12mb/s while downloading from steam or elsewhere but now only 3. Around 3. yes, I used to use ethernet before which I don't now and now i use a chip but still on chip it used to go till 7 or 8 mb/s just recently but these days only 3. i have no idea whats going and how is it getting capped or something. any help is appreciated

specs:
i5 4570t
gtx 1630
16gb ddr3
256 SSD
1tb hhd

Ralston18

Titan
Explain more about "now i use chip". What device , specs, configuration?

ISP?

Make and model modem?

Make and model router or modem/router if combined?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt and post the results. You should be able to use copy and paste with no need to retype everything.

Feb 26, 2024
an internet chip, portable, more like this

m pretty certain its a problem with my PC because other devices at same place can catch up to 30 Mbps but my only 10 or 20, with only 10(maximum being utilized). while posting this I have genshin on download, and its on 4.90 mb/s download speed. when I will watch yt, it will decrease. and suppose if I go afk still it will stay at 2 or 3. Wierd

ISP Is my apartment's local isp.

AC1200 Wifi router Archer C60.

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8192EU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A0-47-D7-30-05-37
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8889:86bf:ac37:e69c%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.123(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 26, 2024 5:09:35 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 26, 2024 9:03:56 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 77613015
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2D-66-04-CA-18-C0-4D-74-D8-9E
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

What you are calling a chip is a USB wifi adapter.
Those tiny devices are the worst things you can get and the one you have is very old technology.

Tiny devices like that are designed for portable devices where physcial size and battery life are important. On a desktop machine you are almost putting the wifi adapter inside a massive metal box.

Although in the long run you likely want a better adapter I would first try a simple thing and use a USB extension cable to move it away from your computer case where you might get better signal.

Feb 26, 2024
lol i actually did that but it doesn't help much. so using a PCIE wifi card will improve network connections? because my wifi is far from PC so no chances of using ethernet nearby.

It could be the unit is defective and newer technology is going to also be faster.

It is not so much pcie vs USB it is you need a usb device designed for desktops. Generally USB devices that work well on desktop already have a long USB cable so you can mount it away from the case. PCIE in general has much bigger antenna but you have to be careful that your case is not blocking the antenna. The better PCIE cards have antenna cables that let you move the antenna from the back of the machine.

Feb 26, 2024
It could be the unit is defective and newer technology is going to also be faster.
that is not the case since this one is new. brought it 2 or 3 months ago. pcie card might help but my PC like on desk and the back is facing wall so It come out to be bad otherwise

I am surprised you bought something that is based on wifi technology that is close to 15yrs old recently. The unit may have been manufacture later but there is much newer technology for close to the same price. Also when you are buying the very cheapest thing you can find the quality does not always tend to be the best.

You do not need anything real fancy since your router is not real modern either.

If you are looking for a USB device look for one that has at least the 1200 number similar to your router. These are fairly inexpensive just be sure you get one that is not one of those tiny little devices. You want to use it on USB extension cable. The better ones come with extension cables and generally have external antenna and small base to sit it on top of your computer.

If you are going for a internal PCIE card you might as well go for the newest type. You might as well get something based on intel 210 chips. This is wifi6e. These cards are generally less than $30. Cards that say support ac1200 like your router are not really much cheaper. Wifi6e cards will drop back and work correctly with your router.

Not sure why the pricing is like that. The only way to say get $15 cards is to buy really old stuff stuff that is rather slow.

Feb 26, 2024
ok ok, alright, altho i dont understand how is my router really old but whatever u said ok I will do that thx but is there any software tweaks I can do to squeeze out the most

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
You are using a low end USB 2.0 tiny wifi adapter, far away from the router, and on the backside of your PC, what do you expect?

Wifi performance also will be affected by surrounding noise/signal. Maybe your neighbor added some new wifi devices?

It doesn't matter it's PCIE or USB. You have to make sure its antenna signal is not blocked by PC itself or other objects, however. Probably with long extension cable.

Last edited:
ok ok, alright, altho i dont understand how is my router really old but whatever u said ok I will do that thx but is there any software tweaks I can do to squeeze out the most
So if we use the new names for wifi.

The nic card you have is considered wifi4, the router is wifi5. There is also wifi6 and wifi6e and wifi7 came out just this year.

Wifi5 stuff first came out in 2014 and the router you have with a 1200 number is first generation technology there are other types that use more dense encoding that have numbers as high as 1900.

Note most people don't actually "need" the newest wifi. Wifi5 stuff can easily get 130 or even 300mbps when it is working properly.