Question Wife has Faster LAN Connection?

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
So, I've noticed considerable differences between my computer download speeds on Steam compared to my Wife's computer. I am hovering around 11.8 MB/s and she is hovering around 27 MB/s. We are both on the same cat6 cable on the same router/modem setup. I'm just trying to pinpoint how, if at all possible, I might reach similar speeds as her. I suppose it could be that my Ethernet Port is just not up to snuff but I'm not sure compared to her machine. I did try and see if I had any type of network limit on my steam version but that was not enabled. This is mostly just out-of-the-box. I am not entirely sure if I changed anything in the router or not. Thanks for the help!
  • Provide us with the make and model of your router — Netgear R6700v3
  • Provide us with the make and model of your modem— TP-Link TC-7610
  • Make and model of motherboard
  • You will also need to post your ISP and connection type - Xfinity / LAN
  • You will also need to post the exact number of devices connected to your router (this includes tablets, smart phones, laptops, and desktop PCs) as some routers can only handle a specific number of devices at a time.
    • ~11 "Attached" devices which include wifi devices like the fire stick, google chrome station, among others.
    • Only two LAN connections.
  • Post any and all error messages you are getting from your ISP or Windows itself
    • None
WIRED LAN CONNECTION ONLY
  • Make and model of switches and how many ports are on each switch
    • Not sure
  • Whether or not a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or regular server is connected to the network
    • Not sure
  • Whether or not a Wifi router is connected to the network and/or switch
    • The router is LAN/WIFI
  • If you are using the internal LAN connection on your motherboard, a USB dongle, or external PCI card
    • Connected to the 2.5 gig Ethernet Port on mine and the only Ethernet Port on hers.

USAFRet

Titan
So, I've noticed considerable differences between my computer download speeds on Steam compared to my Wife's computer. I am hovering around 11.8 MB/s and she is hovering around 27 MB/s. We are both on the same cat6 cable on the same router/modem setup.
Steam is a poor indicator of overall network and LAN performance.

speedtest.net results, from both systems.

kanewolf

Titan
So, I've noticed considerable differences between my computer download speeds on Steam compared to my Wife's computer. I am hovering around 11.8 MB/s and she is hovering around 27 MB/s. We are both on the same cat6 cable on the same router/modem setup. I'm just trying to pinpoint how, if at all possible, I might reach similar speeds as her. I suppose it could be that my Ethernet Port is just not up to snuff but I'm not sure compared to her machine. I did try and see if I had any type of network limit on my steam version but that was not enabled. This is mostly just out-of-the-box. I am not entirely sure if I changed anything in the router or not. Thanks for the help!
  • Provide us with the make and model of your router — Netgear R6700v3
  • Provide us with the make and model of your modem— TP-Link TC-7610
  • Make and model of motherboard
  • You will also need to post your ISP and connection type - Xfinity / LAN
  • You will also need to post the exact number of devices connected to your router (this includes tablets, smart phones, laptops, and desktop PCs) as some routers can only handle a specific number of devices at a time.
    • ~11 "Attached" devices which include wifi devices like the fire stick, google chrome station, among others.
    • Only two LAN connections.
  • Post any and all error messages you are getting from your ISP or Windows itself
    • None
WIRED LAN CONNECTION ONLY
  • Make and model of switches and how many ports are on each switch
    • Not sure
  • Whether or not a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or regular server is connected to the network
    • Not sure
  • Whether or not a Wifi router is connected to the network and/or switch
    • The router is LAN/WIFI
  • If you are using the internal LAN connection on your motherboard, a USB dongle, or external PCI card
    • Connected to the 2.5 gig Ethernet Port on mine and the only Ethernet Port on hers.
Do you have the ROG "Game First" software installed? It will limit download performance to "prioritize" game traffic.
But 11MB/s sounds an awful lot like your PC is running at 100Mbit rather than gigabit. Have you checked the LEDs to verify your link speed?

What happens if you swap your computer to her cable, or the other way around? It's likely inconvenient to move one computer to the other's location for testing, but it could say a lot. For example, if the performance issue stays with your computer, then maybe it is as simple as the DNS server used causing you and her to take different download hosts along different routes. DNS is used to match a named address to a dotted-decimal address, and many server "farms" have different servers with the same content located at different locations around the world. Thus, a different DNS server could route you to two very different download sources even though it is the same named address. Swapping computers for a test would be an enormously important test if it is feasible.

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
Steam is a poor indicator of overall network and LAN performance.

speedtest.net results, from both systems.
Mine from speedtest.net was 94.77 Mbps and 24.01 Mbps. The odd thing was I have the Xfinity and Comcast SF on this speed test.

Hers was from speedtest.net 273.14 Mbps and 23.99 Mbps from Xfinity to Dish Wireless San Jose.

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
This may be a port or drive issue.
Many of the 2.5g posts are drivers are substandard.
Do you have a 1gb ethernet port on your system?
My computer does have two ports and I tried the other port to no avail on speed increases. Here is the speed test with the other ethernet port.

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
Do you have the ROG "Game First" software installed? It will limit download performance to "prioritize" game traffic.
But 11MB/s sounds an awful lot like your PC is running at 100Mbit rather than gigabit. Have you checked the LEDs to verify your link speed?
I don't think I have the ROG software. I do see ROG Live Service under the installed Apps but it doesn't ever appear to be running in the background. The LED are solid orange on the bottom and blinky green on the top.

kanewolf

Titan
That looks exactly like a 100mb connection.
In this case, I suspect the cable.
He meant 100MEG. Cable is the first place to concentrate. Get a round, 100% copper, 24GA cat5e or cat6a cable. No flat cables, no "cat 8", no CCA (copper clad aluminum).
I don't think I have the ROG software. I do see ROG Live Service under the installed Apps but it doesn't ever appear to be running in the background. The LED are solid orange on the bottom and blinky green on the top.
Solid orange is 100Mibt link. Confirmation of the above suspicions.

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
That looks exactly like a 100mb connection.
He meant 100MEG. Cable is the first place to concentrate. Get a round, 100% copper, 24GA cat5e or cat6a cable. No flat cables, no "cat 8", no CCA (copper clad aluminum).

Thanks to you both, I'll do that. It was/is a flat cable because of how I have to run it under or behind a door. I'll look into the better fully round cable.

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021

What is 24GA Cat6a? I'm looking on amazon for 40ft (yes, that's how far I have to go and no, I can't make it better, and, in this house, it's better than any wifi solution). Is this about right?

Unless you're planning on running PoE or a really long run you don't need 22/24AWG cables. If you need slim cables you could probably go all the way down to 30AWG for the range you're talking about, but these will probably also carry a price premium.

Personally I wouldn't touch Cat 5e for anything these days unless you can't afford better as a good Cat 5e cable is probably going to be a better choice than a random cheap Cat 6 or higher.

kanewolf

Titan
Unless you're planning on running PoE or a really long run you don't need 22/24AWG cables. If you need slim cables you could probably go all the way down to 30AWG for the range you're talking about, but these will probably also carry a price premium.

Personally I wouldn't touch Cat 5e for anything these days unless you can't afford better as a good Cat 5e cable is probably going to be a better choice than a random cheap Cat 6 or higher.
I will continue to recommend 5e or 6a. Why? 99.9% of traffic will never be over 1GE. And 2.5GE is just fine on 5e cables. Those monoprice cables recommended above are what I use day in and day out. Large 100% copper cables. Never have issues.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Regarding cat5e & cat6 cable for 2.5Gbe and 5Gbe ethernet. Ethernet alliance has said you don't need to change cables.

BEAVERTON, OR – July 19, 2016 – Capitalizing on the groundbreaking market impact of the most deployed Ethernet specification to-date, the 1000BASE-T standard, the Ethernet Alliance and the NBASE-T Alliance today announced a new collaborative effort designed to accelerate mainstream deployment of 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T Ethernet. This technology multiplies network throughput of the more than 70 billion meters of Cat5e and Cat6 cabling sold throughout the last 13 years. As part of the push to leverage this massive infrastructure, the two organizations plan to validate multi-vendor interoperability at a plugfest event scheduled for the week of October 10, 2016 at the University of New Hampshire InterOperability Laboratory (UNH-IOL) in Durham, NH.

“The availability of tested, interoperable equipment conforming to a single standard will drive future generations of advanced network performance and innovative new applications,” said John D’Ambrosia, chairman, Ethernet Alliance; and senior principal engineer, Huawei. “As IEEE prepares to ratify the IEEE P802.3bz™ 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T standard, our upcoming plugfest will help speed its global adoption and make the most of the expansive 1000BASE-T infrastructure that exists today. As the leading industry voice of Ethernet, our mission is to accelerate its deployment. This joint initiative with the NBASE-T Alliance is a natural progression of that goal.”

“Based on the strong ecosystem developed by the NBASE-T Alliance, and the rapid adoption of 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T technology, we are ready for the next phase of broad deployment,” said Peter Jones, chairman, NBASE-T Alliance; and principal engineer, Cisco. “The unparalleled benefits of 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T Ethernet technology are enabling new capabilities throughout the industry and the upcoming plugfest will be a significant milestone to showcase this success. We look forward to the joint plugfest with the Ethernet Alliance to speed product deployment and move the industry forward.”

From Specification to Full Deployment

IEEE P802.3bz™ defines 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T and offers a seamless upgrade to 1000BASE-T operation, which was introduced nearly 20 years ago. The new specification enables up to five times the speed with no changes in cabling infrastructure required, resulting in a better user experience. In addition, 2.5GbE and 5GbE are well suited to interconnect to the next generation of higher-speed wireless networks based on IEEE 802.11ac™.

With its expected ratification by IEEE in September 2016, the Ethernet Alliance and NBASE-T Alliance are co-sponsoring a cooperative plugfest during the week of October 10, 2016. Both organizations will share post-event results of the interoperability testing performed, demonstrating the rapid maturation of 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T Ethernet technologies and their deployment readiness. The Ethernet Alliance and NBASE-T Alliance will continue to develop market awareness and education as 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T technologies are deployed on a global basis.

Last edited:

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021

Ok so I changed out my cable. In the back on the ethernet port I still see blinking green and solid orange on the one port, blinking orange and solid green on the other (bottom) ethernet port. Running a speed test, they looked identical. How/Why? If the one is a 100Mibt link solid orange and the other is solid green, presumably greater than 100Mibt (the solid orange is the 2.5 port) they shouldn't both be the same, should they? I have a 1G plan. The image below was using the solid orange port but the one below it, the solid green, was 278.

What am I missing?