Question WiFi 6 at slower internet speed

feca1020

Commendable
Mar 20, 2022
Hey!

Im looking into getting a new router because it has been acting up lately and I was wandering, is it worth to get a WiFi 6 router if my internet speeds are on the lower side (around 50Mbps right now and up to a 100Mbps plan)?

There is no provider around here that provides higher speeds and I dont see it happening for a while still.

Wifi6 never lived up to the hype. The largest issue is many end devices do not support the use of 160mhz radio channels. So even if you purchased a router that does if you do not have end devices that support they will only use 80mhz which is the same as wifi5. The 160mhz radio channel width is the main thing that makes wifi6 faster.

There are major issues conforming to rules related to interference when using 160mhz. They have for example detect weather radar and stop using the radio channels if they detect it. Lots of end devices did not want to support that so they just limited it so 80mhz.

If you want something better buy wifi6e. It uses 6ghz radios and there is lots of bandwidth. BUT you must also have end devices that support wifi6e. The cost of wifi6e has dropped a lot since wifi7 was announced it might be worth buying even if you do not currently have wifi6e devices. The extra cost over a wifi5 router is not a real lot.

Do not buy wifi7. It is very expensive and not a lot of end devices support it and the ones that do not not support all the features yet.