[SOLVED] WiFi 6 question

NeghVar1

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
My system has WiFi 6 to a WiFI 6 router to a Gb port that goes to a Synology NAS with a Gb port. My internet speed tests are 800 to 900Mbps on a 1Gb fiber line. However, when transferring files from the NAS to my system and vice versa, the best speed I am getting is about 250 Mbps. What could be causing such a difference?
We have a total of 3 laptops, 4 phones, 2 desktops, and a Roku. All wireless. But right now, traffic is minimal. I am the only active user.

Last edited:
Solution
That is a fancy router to come from a ISP. It almost has to be 160mhz because of the speeds you get on speedtest.

I should not be a wifi6 problem because both the connection to speedtest and the connection to the NAS use the same exact wifi connection.

That means there is something different between the router and the internet or the router and the NAS. It should technically be a bit slower to the internet.

What I noticed is that router has 5gbit port. Did you plug the nas into that port or one of the other white 1gbit ports. There are all kinds of strange issues with 5g ports. I would also try a wired desktop to see if it is any different than the wifi.
It is not likely wifi6 causing it if you get good speedtest numbers. It is the same path between the router and the end device so it should be the same. I guess you could test using a ethernet cable and see if it is any different. It has to be something with the NAS. The actual speed of the NAS will depend on what drives you use and how you have them configured...ie raid. It still should be well over 250mbps.

There are 2 kinds of wifi6 you will find. The cheaper kind that only support 80mhz channels. You see this on routers with a number like 1800 and many end devices only support 80mhz. The better kind support 160mhz channels. This is tricky because of the weather radar avoidance issues. It tends to be a lot more expensive. Most times you only see the speedtest numbers over 800mbps using the 160mhz kind. The 80mhz models are just barely faster than wifi5, 802.11ac, stuff.

NeghVar1

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
The NAS is 4x 8TB WD Red Plus in a RAID 10
The WiFi on my system is Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHZ
The router/Gateway: BGW320-500 (unable to find the spec for 80MHz or 160MHz)

Before we got the ATT fiber, the NAS and desktops were 1Gb wired. I never monitored the speed, but it did not seem slow enough to get my attention. Now everything is WiFi 6 or 5. The NAS is wired into the router/gateway

That is a fancy router to come from a ISP. It almost has to be 160mhz because of the speeds you get on speedtest.

I should not be a wifi6 problem because both the connection to speedtest and the connection to the NAS use the same exact wifi connection.

That means there is something different between the router and the internet or the router and the NAS. It should technically be a bit slower to the internet.

What I noticed is that router has 5gbit port. Did you plug the nas into that port or one of the other white 1gbit ports. There are all kinds of strange issues with 5g ports. I would also try a wired desktop to see if it is any different than the wifi.

Solution

NeghVar1

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
The 1 Gb port.
I no longer have the cable long enough to reach the router from the desktops. But I do have a Lenovo Legion 5 with an ethernet port. I will give that a test.

Test completed. Copied season 1 of Airwolf from the NAS to my laptop over a 1Gb wire connection directly to the router. 712Mb/s to 896Mb/s
Also copied the same content to my desktop. 632Mb/s to 752Mb/s

I just realized this whole thread is wasted time. When I was doing the copying before, my new Plex server was scanning and indexing my media library on the NAS. No wonder the copying was slow. I apologize.

Last edited: