WIFI Adapter Repeatedly Turns Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

blt54321

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
Does anyone know why my wifi adapter keeps messing up, it will be working then out of no where the wifi icon goes grey and has a red X over it. If I restart my computer or disable then enable the adapter in device manager it works again.

My drivers are up to date, but I did recently switch routers. There isn't a problem with any other wifi device except for this one computer. It seems unlikely that my router is at fault but if your wondering it's an ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router (RT-N56U).

Solution
can be any number of things. I would first check Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections then right click properties of the adapter. Click Configure then the Power Management tab. Uncheck to turn off the device to save power. Click the Power Icon in the tray, then More Power Options, and click on Hide Additional Plans, then select High performance.

If that doesn't help (by making sure after a while it doesn't power down the device) then do some basics:
Some of the 'Basics'

Did you install all Windows Updates? Including options except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.

Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update

Remove...
can be any number of things. I would first check Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections then right click properties of the adapter. Click Configure then the Power Management tab. Uncheck to turn off the device to save power. Click the Power Icon in the tray, then More Power Options, and click on Hide Additional Plans, then select High performance.

If that doesn't help (by making sure after a while it doesn't power down the device) then do some basics:
Some of the 'Basics'

Did you install all Windows Updates? Including options except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.

Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update

Remove whatever AV your using and go to www.filehippo.com and download AVAST! or AVG and do a full system scan - this repeatedly has resolved alot of people issue relying on MS Essentials.

Download Malwarebytes do a full system scan (AV doesn't pick up alot of malware) - this resolved almost ALL other similiar posts to date as most had Malware the AV didn't pick up.

Repeat the AV/Malware scans till the system comes up clean.

Download and run SPECCY, copy and paste the first tab to show your idle temps

Download and run MSI Afterburner, run some games, what temps are you getting when underload?

Open Computer (if desktop if not just turn over the laptop), Can Air dust out the bunnies and use paint brush on the vents, coolers, fans, etc.

Solution

blt54321

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013

The wifi was on medium power saving and I turned it to maximum performance, it hasn't turned off since so I believe that fixed it thank you.

ej88

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Hi, i am facing the similar problem. but after i turned it to maximum performance, it seems that it has solved some problem a bit, but the wifi adapter switches off after sometime and does not connect to wifi automatically. then again i need to choose the SSID manually to connect the internet that gives me an error "Windows was unable to connect to this network". But when i click on "Troubleshooting Problems". It automatically resolve and reset the wifi adapater and gives the message that "Problems with Wireless adapter or Access point fixed". After that it works very well for few minutes but again the same problem arises and whole procedure need to be repeated.

Please suggest a solution.

pjsincalab

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I'm experiencing the same thing after the latest Windows 10 update. Tried rolling back the update, but the damage is done. Tried all suggestions above to no avail. My wireless adapter (Intel - Centrino N2230) will not stay powered up more than a few seconds. Drivers are up to date. I think I've had enough F**CKING AROUND with Microsoft's cats cradle OS. The best advice I have is go shop for a Mac Book and end the misery.

Ed_1__

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015

joepaluka

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
This setting is also available in Windows 7 and should be disabled to prevent the problem. Also, as a side note, one of my colleagues discovered that his new personal laptop with this setting enabled was not only turning of the adapter in his laptop but it was also disabling the WiFi in his Motorola Surfboard cable modem so that all WiFi devices in the home would lose connection at the same time as his laptop. Disabling the power saver feature in the WiFi adapter corrected the problem for the entire household.

Status
Not open for further replies.