Question Wifi Adapter/Router Issue

Jan 21, 2023
A few months ago my computers WiFi adapter stopped connecting to my internet, and after some searches I decided to get a USB WiFi adapter to try to see if that would work, which it did, for a little then it stopped working as well. I've been through 2 of them now. My adapters will connect to my phones hotspot and other internet but not my internet specifically. I've changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and the only difference is it actually says "Connected, Secured" instead of "No Internet, Secured". I have done the Flush DNS etc many times and nothing has changed. So I started thinking its something to do with my internet/router itself. What could cause this?

kanewolf

Titan
A few months ago my computers WiFi adapter stopped connecting to my internet, and after some searches I decided to get a USB WiFi adapter to try to see if that would work, which it did, for a little then it stopped working as well. I've been through 2 of them now. My adapters will connect to my phones hotspot and other internet but not my internet specifically. I've changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and the only difference is it actually says "Connected, Secured" instead of "No Internet, Secured". I have done the Flush DNS etc many times and nothing has changed. So I started thinking its something to do with my internet/router itself. What could cause this?
Basic things
Post a link to the adapter we are discussing so that we know what hardware you have. Post the manufacturer and model of your router. Describe the relative position of the router and the PC
Basic troubleshooting
Check the channels used by the router. If they are "auto", the router could have changed to a channel the adapter doesn't support. Start by manually changing the channels (1, 6, 11 for 2.4Ghz) and less than 50 for 5Ghz) Manually set the channel width to 20Mhz on 2.4Ghz and 40Mhz on 5Ghz. Verify you are using WPA2 security.

Jan 21, 2023
OK, this is a cellular home service. I would start by disabling IPv6 on your WIFI adapter. See if having IPv4 on the LAN will fix things.
If I did this correctly by going into the adapter settings in the Control Panel and unchecking the IPV6 box , this did not work

Jan 21, 2023
OK, this is a cellular home service. I would start by disabling IPv6 on your WIFI adapter. See if having IPv4 on the LAN will fix things.
I totally forgot to mention as well, I have a old PC I was using as a WiFi to Ethernet for my laptop using my WiFi, then one day my old PC stopped connecting to my WiFi as well. Which is why I tend to think its a Router issue more then a Adapter issue? I could be wrong but it makes most sense to me

kanewolf

Titan
I totally forgot to mention as well, I have a old PC I was using as a WiFi to Ethernet for my laptop using my WiFi, then one day my old PC stopped connecting to my WiFi as well. Which is why I tend to think its a Router issue more then a Adapter issue? I could be wrong but it makes most sense to me
I have no experience with the T-Mobile routers. Have you tired the wired ports? Do they work even if the WIFI doesn't ?

Jan 21, 2023
Yes everything in this house connect to my internet but my laptop and PC, I just gave in and bought a new WiFi card for replacement, just figured id see if there was a decently easy fix for this that I didn't think of these last few months

172.20.x.x. ip addresses are not commonly used. There is nothing wrong with it just not something that you see used by default in consumer routers.

Can you ping 172.20.10.1.

If you put that into your browser does it take you to your router login page.

Mostly I am wondering if you are actually connected to your network or maybe you are connecting to something else. If all you other devices also use this ip range and gateway then the problem is likely something different.

Jan 21, 2023
172.20.x.x. ip addresses are not commonly used. There is nothing wrong with it just not something that you see used by default in consumer routers.

Can you ping 172.20.10.1.

If you put that into your browser does it take you to your router login page.

Mostly I am wondering if you are actually connected to your network or maybe you are connecting to something else. If all you other devices also use this ip range and gateway then the problem is likely something different.

that ping did the same thing as 8.8.8.8 ping
and no 172 is not my router log in, mine is 192.168.12.1

kanewolf

Titan
that ping did the same thing as 8.8.8.8 ping
and no 172 is not my router log in, mine is 192.168.12.1
Your PC has DHCP enabled. There may be another device that is responding to the DHCP request before your T-Mobile router. Are there any other WIFI sources besides your T-Mobile router?
Maybe an old router that is plugged into power but disconnected from the internet? WIFI extender? Something is messing up your DHCP.

Jan 21, 2023
Your PC has DHCP enabled. There may be another device that is responding to the DHCP request before your T-Mobile router. Are there any other WIFI sources besides your T-Mobile router?
Maybe an old router that is plugged into power but disconnected from the internet? WIFI extender? Something is messing up your DHCP.
As far as I know we have no extenders/old routers, i just double checked every outlet and theres nothing of that sort plugged in

kanewolf

Titan
As far as I know we have no extenders/old routers, i just double checked every outlet and theres nothing of that sort plugged in
If your T-Mobile router is a 192.168.x.y and you are getting a DHCP response of 172.20.x.y from somewhere you will never get connectivity.
You could verify this by temporarily using a static IP of 192.168.12.99 with mask of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.12.1 If that works then you just have to find what is messing up your DHCP.

Jan 21, 2023
If your T-Mobile router is a 192.168.x.y and you are getting a DHCP response of 172.20.x.y from somewhere you will never get connectivity.
You could verify this by temporarily using a static IP of 192.168.12.99 with mask of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.12.1 If that works then you just have to find what is messing up your DHCP.
Didn't work, unfortunate